[comp.emacs] Editing large files in MicroEmacs under SCO Xenix 2.2

mdc@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) (05/06/87)

I have successfully compiled MicroEmacs Version 38b under SCO Xenix
2.2 as a medium model program.  It works pretty well.  I am however
unable to more than about 32K bytes at a time.

Does anyone have Xenix or SysV mods to make editing large files
possible?  I really enjoy the speed of uEmacs under Xenix, but have
had trouble with it truncating files.

I am using the SCO Xenix 2.2 full development environment, and have
tried using 'cc -O -Ml -c someprg.c' but get the error
'infinite spill' while compiling some files.

Any help much appreciated.  I will let everyone know if I get a
response.

Marty Connor

mdc@eddie.mit.edu
....!harvard!mit-eddie!mdc
mdc@mit-eddie.uucp ?

(what *is* the right uucp path?)

markv@uoregon.UUCP (Mark VandeWettering) (05/07/87)

In article <5728@eddie.MIT.EDU> mdc@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) writes:
>I am using the SCO Xenix 2.2 full development environment, and have
>tried using 'cc -O -Ml -c someprg.c' but get the error
>'infinite spill' while compiling some files.

	I seem to recall that I had similar errors.  I believe the fix
	was to turn off optimization for files that exhibit this error.
	It seems that the optimizer cannot handle large files, and gives
	some odd error messages...

	Try this to see if it works, It  didn't take notes of how I did
	this.

--
|                       Mark VandeWettering                             |
|   member of UO-EXODOS - distributed operating system research group   |

caf@omen.UUCP (05/08/87)

In article <5728@eddie.MIT.EDU> mdc@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) writes:
:I am using the SCO Xenix 2.2 full development environment, and have
:tried using 'cc -O -Ml -c someprg.c' but get the error
:'infinite spill' while compiling some files.
:
Unless you just got a beta version of the C-Dev system, you may not have
a "true 2.2 C-Dev" system.

I have compiled a version of micro emacs that announces itself as 3.8b
with the old Dev system and large model.  A newer version did not
compile with the old Dev system.   The old version seems to work OK,
but I never trust anything made with large model ...

With the new C-Dev system, I compiled what I thought was the offending
newer version, but it also is 3.8b.  So, I'll grab some newer sources
and see what happens.  The beta test cmerge does fix some huge model
problems, but unsigned longs are broken.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  Voice: 503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF  Source:TCE022
  omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

cs504aa@unm-la.UUCP (David Barts) (05/08/87)

In article <5728@eddie.MIT.EDU>, mdc@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) writes:

> I have successfully compiled MicroEmacs Version 38b under SCO Xenix
> 2.2 as a medium model program.  It works pretty well.  I am however
> unable to [edit] more than about 32K bytes at a time....

Strange.  I have been having exactly the same problem with the
same version under PC-DOS with Microsoft C Version 4.0.  I can't
edit anything larger than about 20K without getting messages that
EMACS can't allocate space.  Version 3.7j works (same compiler,
same system) on much larger files.  This sounds like a bug
(it better not be a feature :-) ) introduced somewhere between
the two versions.  Has it been fixed in a later release?

--
  David Barts  N5JRN      "The Boy in the Box"
  Arpa:  cs504aa@unm-la.lanl.gov  |  unm-la!cs504aa@lanl.arpa

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Che' Flamingo) (05/09/87)

cs504aa@unm-la.UUCP (David Barts) writes:
>mdc@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) writes:
>>
>> I have successfully compiled MicroEmacs Version 38b under SCO Xenix
>> 2.2 as a medium model program.  It works pretty well.  I am however
>> unable to [edit] more than about 32K bytes at a time....
>
>Strange.  I have been having exactly the same problem with the
>same version under PC-DOS with Microsoft C Version 4.0.  I can't
>edit anything larger than about 20K without getting messages that
>EMACS can't allocate space.  Version 3.7j works (same compiler,
>same system) on much larger files.  This sounds like a bug
>(it better not be a feature :-) ) introduced somewhere between
>the two versions.  Has it been fixed in a later release?

I downloaded the executable (as well as the source; I _will_ buy a C compiler
some day :-) for v3.8b and it handles large files with no problem for me, up to
my memory limit. Perhaps there's a strange compiler flag or stacksize default
that you need to adjust?

markd@wolf.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) (05/10/87)

Several postings have gone by describing problems with the
SCO C Compiler.

SCO supplies two versions of compiler, at least in the version of
XENIX I have. If you just run cc, you a version of compiler which
itself was compiled as a small model program. It tends to crash
when feed large C programs.

To the get the version of the C compiler which was compiled using
the large model, put the flag -LARGE on the command line.

Once I found this out, it sure made my life simpler.

I also run COMPAQ XENIX and its C compiler comes standard as
a large mode program.

--
---------------------------------
Mark C. DiVecchio 10435 Mountain Glen Terrace, San Diego, CA 92131

bill@westpt.UUCP (05/11/87)

  I also had a problem with editing files over 20k on the PC but after
recompiling everything using the large memory model the problem went away.
If you are having this problem and are using the large model I would report
it to the compiler writters and not to the emacs writters. :-)
  The error you get is "can't allocate xx bytes" and the message is put out
when malloc() fails as he tries to build the linked list containing the file
you are editing.
  Hope this info helps.  I have found Microemacs to be about the best editor
I have used on my PC so far.

bill gunshannon

UUCP:      {philabs,phri}!westpt!bill        PHONE:     (914)446-7747
US SNAIL:  Martin Marietta Data Systems      RADIO:     KB3YV
           USMA, Bldg 600, Room 26           AX.25      KB3YV @ WA2RKN
           West Point, NY  10996

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/12/87)

In article <5728@eddie.MIT.EDU> mdc@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) writes:

>I have successfully compiled MicroEmacs Version 38b under SCO Xenix
>2.2 as a medium model program.  It works pretty well.  I am however
>unable to more than about 32K bytes at a time.

I used the large model and have had no problems with 3.7i, 3.8b,
3.8f, or 3.8i (except trying to keep current). I use the -LARGE
option to get by the 'out of heap' messages. I have SCO 2.1.3.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \	ARPA: wedu@ge-crd.arpa
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen