[comp.emacs] emacs38b query

svirsky@ttidca.UUCP (05/01/87)

Can multiple marks be set in emacs38b?  From what I can see, you
can only set 1 mark.  I was hoping to use emacs38b as my editor on
both Unix and my pc, but I use multiple marks extensively when I'm
editing.  Thanks in advance.

Bill Svirsky, Citicorp/TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597
svirsky@ttidca | ...!{philabs,psivax,trwrb,csun}!ttidca!svirsky
--
Bill Svirsky, Citicorp/TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597
svirsky@ttidca | ...!{philabs,psivax,trwrb,csun}!ttidca!svirsky

phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) (05/08/87)

 am a user of microemacs 3.8b and quite happy with  it.
my question is what is really the latest version from the developer?
i have seem references on he net to such things as 3.8f and 3.8i.
are these "official" updates or do they represent devients by users?

while we are talking about revision levels of software, it seems to me
that there are many cases where a developer puts out a version and
soon thereafter everyone starts making minor changes and rolling the
developer's version number. this can only cause mass confusion. i
propose that only the developer shopuld roll the version number and
that anyone else making and distributing changes should use the developer's
base version number followed by the modofiers's initials and date.
comments?

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/12/87)

In article <4783@sci.UUCP> phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) writes:

> am a user of microemacs 3.8b and quite happy with  it.
>my question is what is really the latest version from the developer?
>i have seem references on he net to such things as 3.8f and 3.8i.
>are these "official" updates or do they represent devients by users?

Official versions are/were 3.7i, 3.8b, 3.8f, 3.8i. This does not
mean that the missing versions are unofficial, but that I got
these from a known good source.

archived source is available from *IX BBS (very big) at (518)
346-8033, in the general files area (login as bbs, register as
new, use your real name). The archived DOS version is there for
IBM PC and close clones *only*.

The sources on disk are available from PESS, Box 85, Rexford NY
12148-0085, priced as follows:
	emacs 3.8i on 3-360k DOS disks		$6
	emacs 3.8i on 1-1200k DOS disk		$3
	emacs 3.8i on 1-1200k cpio disk		$3
		(xenix, mport, pcix, aix)
	emacs 3.8i on 3-320k cpio disks		$9
		(7300/unix-pc)
	typeset emacs manual			$2
	shipping on any order			$2

Disclamer: my daughter gets $1/disk for copying these and will
retire to Tahiti someday. Shipping runs 1-3 weeks.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \	ARPA: wedu@ge-crd.arpa
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen