[comp.emacs] HP2392A terminal no good with EMACS?

malcolm@keilir.UUCP (05/13/87)

Has anyone out there tried to use an HP2392A terminal with GNU emacs?

The problem is that the terminal always experiences data overruns
(and thus garbage chars on the screen) even at 2400 baud.

This is NOT solved by turning on ^s/^q flow control
(via "(set-input-mode nil t)").  Adding fill characters (via the terminfo
entry) makes it even worse - it seems that the terminal puts the NULs into
its buffer instead of throwing them away immediately(?).

The strange thing is that vi seems to work fine, and /bin/stty -a says
that they have the same setup except for IGNBRK, ONLCR and INTR.

We are running an HP9000/320 under HP-UX.

Malcolm Cohen			 mcvax!hafro!keilir!malcolm
Utgardar, Computer Centre, University of Iceland, Reykjavik

mark@cogent.UUCP (05/16/87)

In article <247@keilir.UUCP> malcolm@keilir.UUCP (Malcolm Cohen) writes:

>Has anyone out there tried to use an HP2392A terminal with GNU emacs?
>
>The problem is that the terminal always experiences data overruns
>(and thus garbage chars on the screen) even at 2400 baud.
>
>This is NOT solved by turning on ^s/^q flow control
>(via "(set-input-mode nil t)").  Adding fill characters (via the terminfo
>entry) makes it even worse - it seems that the terminal puts the NULs into
>its buffer instead of throwing them away immediately(?).
>
>We are running an HP9000/320 under HP-UX.

We are on an 9000/840 and are running MicroEmacs 3.8b (gnuemacs will be
up soon).  Our 2392A's worked very poorly (indeed they work very poorly
under almost any public domain application we have ever gotten).  However,
we have found that if we switched to ANSI mode (in the terminal) and tweaked
the ansi terminfo driver to use some special modes we wanted, then things ran
a lot better.  The only outstanding problem in uEmacs is that we get no
arrow key response.  For being such a high-falooting and expensive terminal,
one would think that it would not have such sh*tty behavior.  The command
set when it's in HP mode (non-ANSI) is especially bad.  In my opinion, the
HP2392A is worthless unless it is in ANSI mode, in which case it is no better
than any other terminal out there that has ANSI mode.
|     Mark Steven Jeghers: the terrorist smuggling CIA weapons to Libya      |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
|     Standard Disclaimer:  Contents may have settled during shipment.       |