[comp.emacs] emacstool in gnu 18.41 - cheap solution

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (05/22/87)

I set up an "emacstool" in suntools by making a setup line that
executes
	csh -c emacs-disable-suspend-emacs
and having a line in .cshrc
	alias emacs-disable-suspend-emacs 'emacs -f disable-suspend-emacs'
and having a function in .emacs
	(defun disable-suspend-emacs () (disable-command 'suspend-emacs))

The setup line makes a window that pops up and automatically runs a
shell which runs emacs.  All the rest of the stuff is to automatically
disable the suspend-emacs (C-z) command, since suspending emacs leaves
nobody listening to input from that window.  (The csh is waiting for
emacs to finish.)  Typing C-x C-c causes emacs to exit, causing csh to
exit, causing suntools to destroy the window.

Dale

--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

schwartz@swatsun (Scott Schwartz) (05/23/87)

In article <1208@cullvax.UUCP>, drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:
> I set up an "emacstool" in suntools by making a setup line that
> executes
> 	csh -c emacs-disable-suspend-emacs

Don't you miss having mouse support??  The emacstool from 18.38 gives you this,
and I find it a plus.

> Dale Worley		Cullinet Software

--
# Scott Schwartz
# UUCP: ...{{seismo,ihnp4}!bpa, cbmvax!vu-vlsi, sun!liberty}!swatsun!schwartz
# AT&T: (215)-328-8610	/* lab phone */

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (05/26/87)

> Don't you miss having mouse support??  The emacstool from 18.38 gives you this
> and I find it a plus.

On the contrary.  I find that Emacs-es with mouse support, so far,
don't support the mouse the same way, or as well as, the native
mouse support for terminal emulator windows.  E.g. I can't select
some text with the mouse and stuff it into another window because
the mouse clicks that would have done that get stuffed into the Emacs
input buffer, invoking Bog knows what lisp functions, but never
doing the same thing that any other window would do with 'em.
So I just learned to not click the mouse in the Emacs window.

(I'm running a Unipress Emacs with window support hacked in while I was
at Sun, and no source.  Happily, my binary was compiled for a Sun-2
monochrome display, and now that I run it on a color display it falls
back to using the terminal emulator, giving me real mouse support
finally!)
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)