[comp.emacs] WANTED: MicroEmacs binaries for microVMS 4.3 or compatible

daffy@warwick.UUCP (Steve Hunt) (05/23/87)

Hi folks,

I am a seasoned (!) Emacs lover, and I am regrettably forced to use a VAX
running under VMS - well, a MicroVAX II under MicroVMS 4.3 to be exact.
Now, I've more or less standardised on microEMACS 3.7 on all the other
machines I use, but not having C on the VAX, I can't bring it up under VMS.

Could any kind soul out there post me a binary of microEMACS for VMS please?
Any reasonably recent version would be fine.  I don't know whether the config
of the VAX has to be taken into account; I suppose that the best bet would
be a version that was compiled under identical hardware/software.

PLEASE send me mail first if you would be willing to post this to me; then
we can discuss the best way to send it (and I can avoid more than 1 person
sending it).

Thanks in anticipation!

					Steve.
--
"University computer centers are notorious for being run by
 empty-headed bozos."       -- Henry Spencer.

Steve Hunt			Mail: daffy@warwick.UUCP

sas1@sphinx.UUCP (05/30/87)

I am is the same situation, so if you need votes for posting I'll vote yes.

SaS
PS: The problem will be now to post the binary for VMS.  VMS is picky about
file structure.

mic@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) (05/30/87)

In article <1850@sphinx.uchicago.edu> sas1@sphinx.UUCP (Stuart Schmukler) writes:
	(in reference to posting a VMS binary of MicroEMACS 3.?)

>I am is the same situation, so if you need votes for posting I'll vote yes.
>
>SaS
>PS: The problem will be now to post the binary for VMS.  VMS is picky about
>file structure.

There is a program called VMSHEX that comes with VMS KERMIT, which
ASCIIfies VMS files while retaining their file attributes.  It's
written in MACRO (which nearly *every* VMS site ought to have), so I'd
suggest using that format for a MicroEMACS binary posting.

Mic Kaczmarczik
U.T. Austin Computation Center
mic@ngp.utexas.edu

P.S. If anybody would like a copy of MicroGNUEmacs 1b compiled for VMS
4.4, there will be a copy on the VAX SIG library tape from the Spring
DECUS symposium in Nashville.  (If you're in a hurry, drop me some
E-mail and maybe we can work something out.)

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (06/01/87)

The 3.8i release of memacs is ~103k for VMS with most things turned on.
That's a bit big to post in ASCII. Can you do a BACKUP, uuencode it,
and recover it at the other end? BACKUP seems to know about file types.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen