[comp.emacs] scroll-left while in minibuffer causes emacs crash

dmb@morgoth.UUCP (06/03/87)

[ GNU Emacs 18.37 on a MicroVAX II under Ultrix 2.0 ]

Occasionally while I'm in the minibuffer, the text goes off the
screen.  This can happen while I'm using filename completion or
yanking lisp code to be evaluated.  Sometimes I'd like to edit the
minibuffer before I send it off.  If I want to see what's off the
screen, I'm screwed!  Using scroll-left while in the minibuffer causes
emacs to go berserk, eventually winding up with a fatal error.  This
happens with scroll-left bound to a key.  I haven't figured out how to
test it using M-x.

So:
	1.  Watch out!!  Possible lossage!!
	2.  Why does this happen?
	3.  Can we fix it?

David Brown
{harvard | ll-xn | mirror}!adelie!morgoth!dmb
GZA, 320 Needham St., Newton Upper Falls, MA  02164
(617) 969-0050

 WE CHALLENGE our traditions
      BECAUSE we believe
        TRUTH without questioning
     IS FALSE

nate@cpocd2.UUCP (Nate Hess) (06/04/87)

In article <420@morgoth.UUCP> dmb@morgoth.UUCP (David M. Brown) writes:
>[ GNU Emacs 18.37 on a MicroVAX II under Ultrix 2.0 ]
>
>Occasionally while I'm in the minibuffer, the text goes off the
>screen.  This can happen while I'm using filename completion or
>yanking lisp code to be evaluated.  Sometimes I'd like to edit the
>minibuffer before I send it off.  If I want to see what's off the
>screen, I'm screwed!  Using scroll-left while in the minibuffer causes
>emacs to go berserk, eventually winding up with a fatal error.
>
>David Brown

What I do when the text in the minibuffer goes off the screen (when
typing in long file names or using regular expressions involving ^J, for
example), is to simply increase the number of lines in the minibuffer
using 'enlarge-window' (C-x ^).  In Version 18.41 the minibuffer grows
just like any other window would, and then shrinks back to one window
when the command is complete.  There is probably a good chance that this
would also work in 18.37.

--Nate Hess
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!nate
<domainish> :   nate@cpocd2.intel.com		ATT :    (602) 961-2037