[comp.emacs] getting GNU running on AIX

moore@UTKCS2.CS.UTK.EDU.UUCP (06/05/87)

I spent a couple of days trying to get GNU 18.41 running on AIX.
I finally got it to compile (unexec wouldn't work).  After doing so,
I tried to run temacs and it got killed immediately.  The debugger
showed it was killed with signal 9 (SIGKILL).  If I remember properly, this
is the way the kernel handles programs which are just too big.
I checked the amount of paging space, etc., and there seemed to be enough.
(Can someone offer a better hypothesis?)

I decided it wasn't worth the trouble for now (I have 4.2, so why use AIX?).

Keith Moore
CSnet: moore@tennessee.csnet
Bitnet: moore@utkcs1
Internet: moore@[128.169.201.2]	(pending Internet registration)

karl@haddock.UUCP (06/06/87)

In article <8706050038.AA12852@UTKCS2.CS.UTK.EDU> moore@UTKCS2.CS.UTK.EDU (Keith Moore) writes:
>I spent a couple of days trying to get GNU 18.41 running on AIX.  I finally
>got it to compile (unexec wouldn't work).  After doing so, I tried to run
>temacs [which died with a SIGKILL].  If I remember properly, this is the way
>the kernel handles programs which are just too big.

(Generally, SIGKILL is how the kernel handles an unrunnable file if it's too
late to return to the previous image (the one that called exec()).  I've seen
this happen when the a.out format was incorrect, for example.)

I plan to make an unexec() that will work on AIX.  I'd appreciate any advice
above and beyond what I can find in "man a.out".  Also, I'll gladly accept any
hints about other pitfalls that await me in building AIX emacs.

Perhaps we should start a mailing list for this subtopic?

moore@UTKCS2.CS.UTK.EDU (Keith Moore) (06/07/87)

In article <517@haddock.UUCP>, Karl Heuer <decvax!ima!haddock!karl@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> writes:
>(Generally, SIGKILL is how the kernel handles an unrunnable file if it's too
>late to return to the previous image (the one that called exec()).  I've seen
>this happen when the a.out format was incorrect, for example.)
>
>I plan to make an unexec() that will work on AIX.  I'd appreciate any advice
>above and beyond what I can find in "man a.out".  Also, I'll gladly accept any
>hints about other pitfalls that await me in building AIX emacs.

I also tried to get a version of unexec to work, but tired of searching
through the documentation to find the right information.  (That's what
happens when a vendor tries to make the Unix manuals more user-
friendly).  I eventually gave up and defined CANNOT_DUMP.  Thus AIX
killed a program produced by its own linker.

Keith Moore				Internet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
Universtiy of Tennessee CS Dept.	CSnet: moore@tennessee
Knoxville, Tennessee			BITNET: moore@utkcs1