[comp.emacs] GNUEmacs on AT&T 3B5's

aeusesef@csun.UUCP (Sean Eric Fagan) (06/19/87)

[]
I am trying to bring GNUEmacs (version 17.xx) on an AT&T 3B5 computer.
It currently gets into the startup (wow!), and then dies, trying to get
more memory.  I have convinced the system administrator to allow more
memory (we currently can only get something like 600k).  How much should
I tell him I need?
Thank you for your support.

 -----

 Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources
 (213) 852 5742           Suite 2600
 AGTLSEF@CALSTATE.BITNET  5670 Wilshire Boulevard
                          Los Angeles, CA 90036
{litvax, rdlvax, psivax, hplabs, ihnp4}!csun!{aeusesef,titan!eectrsef}
My employers do not endorse my   | "I may be slow,  but I'm not  stupid.
opinions,  and, at least in my   |  I can count up to five *real* good."
preference  of Unix,  heartily   |      The Great Skeeve
disagree.                        |      (Robert Asprin)

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (06/21/87)

In article <644@csun.UUCP> aeusesef@csun.UUCP (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>I am trying to bring GNUEmacs (version 17.xx) on an AT&T 3B5 computer.

That's your first problem.  Get a copy of the current version (18.47),
which will greatly ease your pain in this area as well as many others,
before you spend much more time fixing old shortcomings.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

Karl.Kleinpaste@cbstr1.att.com (06/23/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.3 of Sat Jun 20 1987 on cbstr1 (usg-unix-v)

aeusesef@csun.UUCP writes:
> I am trying to bring GNUEmacs (version 17.xx) on an AT&T 3B5 computer.
> It currently gets into the startup (wow!), and then dies, trying to get
> more memory.  I have convinced the system administrator to allow more
> memory (we currently can only get something like 600k).  How much should
> I tell him I need?

First, you will need quite a lot.  Our 3B2/400s are configured for 4Mb
process limits just to push the limits out beyond what we might need;
in practice, we find that a shade over 1Mb is really needed.  That's
for normal use with a bunch of buffers for largish files, rnews and
rmail, and maybe a couple of other things.

Second, DON'T use 17.anything on a 3B of any kind.  It *will not* work
with anything previous to 17.61, period.  It will only work with, say,
17.64 (the last v17) if you have the mods distributed to this
newsgroup about 9 months ago by someone whose name I regret I have
forgotten.  It may seem to work for a while, but unless you have
duplicated other work in SysV and 3B's quite carefully, it will die at
odd times with odd errors.  Get 18.4x first.  18.47 installs with no
hacking required.

Karl