[comp.emacs] MicroGnuEmacs info

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (06/28/87)

quah@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (danny quah) writes:

> Some time ago [mid-June?], a micro-GNU-emacs was said to exist on
> jade.berkeley.edu for ftp.  I have since lost the address of the poster,
> and have not been able to locate that micro-GNU-emacs.  The poster did
> say that he would either mail me or post to the net correct info on
> this, but I may have missed this.  Are you still out there? Is anyone
> else interested?

I am the person that pointed out the existence of MicroGnuEmacs.
Sorry I didn't reply to your request sooner.  You can find the sources
for MicroGnuEmacs version 1b via FTP:

jade.berkeley.edu: pub/mg/mg1b.tar.Z

MicroGnu is the old MicroEmacs v30 that has had extensions and other
modifications to make it behave more like real GNU Emacs.  Aside from
the functions in big GNU that it omits, there are a few
incompatibilities, but they are minor.  No elisp is supported, but you
can rebind keys.  No major modes are available, but auto-fill-mode and
auto-indent-mode (similar to indented-text-mode in big GNU) are
available.  Operating systems supported are (from the mg README file):

	4.2 & 4.3 BSD Unix, Sun 3.2
	OS9/68k
	VMS
	Amiga (with optional mouse support and menu-bar browser)
	System V
	Eunice
	Primos
	Cpm/68k
	Atari ST
	MS-DOS (with some modifications)

Executable size is about 64K on a Vax under Unix or VMS, 122K on the
IBM RT under Unix, 50-64K (depending on options you select) on the
Amiga (68000).  I've used it on each of these configurations and it
works just fine.

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu	UUCP: {backbone-site}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp