[comp.emacs] when using jove, get the keymap right!

jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) (06/24/87)

In article <320@xios.XIOS.UUCP> greg@sdn.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
>I understand that jove can be made to understand function keys quite
>easily.

We've done this, and while it's easy for some terminals, others
(notably VT-200 type terminals) need some reprogramming.  The
problem is that JOVE keymaps are oriented around prefix characters
into other keymaps. Since there are only 4 keymaps and some VT200
function keys have 5 characters (e.g. "^[[21~"), there's no way
to describe them using the prefix format. SUN workstations and
Dasher terminals (in ANSI mode) are even worse; they always generate
six character sequences.

What we've done is to decode the function number (21 in the example
above) and use it as an index into one of the keymaps.  This works
fine, but may conflict with other uses of the keymap.  The function
keys should really have their own keymap or keymaps.

If people are interested I can assemble diff listings to post (I
haven't seen much discussion about JOVE lately, even though we use it
a lot).

--

Jim Patterson          decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!jimp
Cognos Incorporated

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/11/87)

As quoted from <977@cognos.UUCP> by jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson):
+---------------
| If people are interested I can assemble diff listings to post (I
| haven't seen much discussion about JOVE lately, even though we use it
| a lot).
+---------------

I'd be interested.  I use jove heavily (ever try to run GNU Emacs on a
1MB non-VM system?).

It occurs to me that a better fix is to teach jove about dynamic keymaps.
The basic ones (mainmap, pref1map, pref2map, miscmap) could remain as is,
and some new commands "create-keymap" and "bind-keymap-to-key" (or just fix
bind-to-key to handle dynamic keymaps); then go ahead and use them.  (For
that matter, if we fix bind-to-key to handle dynamic keymaps, maybe we should
fix it to handle macros?  Or should it?)

BTW, is there a mailing list or other discussion group for Jove?  (Not to
mention bug fixes; (a) process reads fail badly under OSs that don't restart
interrupted system calls, and (b) for some reason using back- slashes in the
substitute string of M-X query-replace deletes the rest of the line being
replaced.)  [I've fixed (a), I check to see if the fd is seekable, and set
the blocksize to 1 if it's not.  I also restart reads, which includes lseek()
back to the last disk address for real files.]
--
[Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved] \ ncoast 216 781 6201
[Redistributable only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.] \ 2400 bd.