[comp.emacs] suggestions for manual-entry

gaynor@topaz.rutgers.edu (Silver) (07/03/87)

There are a couple of things about the manual-entry function that I
would change if I had a say...

1. Generate the output to a buffer named

     '*' <topic> [ '.' <section> ] '-manual*'

   because at the time that you're reading a man page, you'll need to
   look at a couple of others.  I think this falls in line with the
   potato-chip phenomenah - betcha can't read just one!

2. Run this thing in the background, in a fashion similar to the
   compile function.  It just takes a while to run this baby
   sometimes...

name:  Andy Gaynor (Silver)
uucp:  {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!gaynor
arpa:  gaynor@topaz.rutgers.edu
icbm:  40 34 N / 74 45 W

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (07/06/87)

While we're at it, how about fixing cleaning:

	Remove _^H (or ^H_, or whatever)
	Remove .^H. (when the first and 3rd chars are the same, is
		 used for "boldface", or something)
	Change |^H^ to ^ (some sort of fake uparrow)

Actually, somebody should check how man *really* emits these things
first!

Dale
--
Dale Worley	Cullinet Software		ARPA: cullvax!drw@eddie.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

mike@turing.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (07/06/87)

In article <13143@topaz.rutgers.edu> gaynor@topaz.rutgers.edu (Silver) writes:

>There are a couple of things about the manual-entry function that I
>would change if I had a say...

Add: Use the rman protocol.  In fact, add compile time options (or
maybe runtime) to select the use of rman protocol, nntp, etc.  It sure
would be nice to use nifty emacs features like these, but on a machine
without local manuals and news, I have to resort to rn and man.

					Michael I. Bushnell
					a/k/a Bach II
					mike@turing.UNM.EDU
---
I'm reporting for duty as a modern person.  I want to do
 the Latin Hustle now!
				-- Zippy the Pinhead

mayer@hplabsc.UUCP (07/07/87)

I use rman with manual-entry. manual-entry
tries to look at the empty man/cat directories on my workstation,
doesn't find anything, and then invokes rman.

Add the following form to your .emacs file (or put it in site-init.el
and make temacs redump).

	(setq manual-program "/usr/local/bin/rman")

-- Niels.

john@xanth.UUCP (07/08/87)

In article <1341@cullvax.UUCP>, drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:
> 	Remove _^H (or ^H_, or whatever)
> 	Remove .^H. (when the first and 3rd chars are the same, is
> 		 used for "boldface", or something)
> 	Change |^H^ to ^ (some sort of fake uparrow)
>
> Actually, somebody should check how man *really* emits these things
> first!

Simple; the man pages are processed by nroff, which uses these for
underlining, boldface, and the uparrow character, as you guessed.
Other combinations include
	o^H+  for a bullet,
	s^HS  for a section symbol,
	etc.

nroff, you see, tries to do its best to be able to be used with troff
input, so that 1) you can use it for draft copies of your troff
document, and 2) if you don't have any high-quality output device, you
can still nroff and read someone else's troff document.

more takes the _^Hc and uses underline (if available) or standout mode
to display the character(s)!

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (07/08/87)

Most modern day man programs transmit the underscores first and only
uses one backspace at a time (Version 6 was the notable exception).
Therefore all one need do is the emacs equivelent of the real editor
command
	g/.^H/s///g

nate@cpocd2.UUCP (Nate Hess) (07/09/87)

In article <13217@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>Therefore all one need do is the emacs equivelent of the real editor
>command
>	g/.^H/s///g

You mean ex is a "real editor"?!?

'Tis news to me...  :-)#
--Nate Hess
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!nate
<domainish> :   nate@cpocd2.intel.com		ATT :    (602) 961-2037

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/11/87)

As quoted from <1341@cullvax.UUCP> by drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley):
+---------------
| While we're at it, how about fixing cleaning:
|
| 	Remove _^H (or ^H_, or whatever)
| 	Remove .^H. (when the first and 3rd chars are the same, is
| 		 used for "boldface", or something)
| 	Change |^H^ to ^ (some sort of fake uparrow)
|
| Actually, somebody should check how man *really* emits these things
| first!
+---------------

System III and System V nroff generate output that is readable past col -b;
as a result a manual page can be makde readable by deleting all instances of
the regexp ".^H".  Being a Jove user, that's M-X replace-search .^Q^H^M^M
-- for GNU, I *think* it's (please no flames, GNU doesn't work under System
III so ncoast can't run it): (replace-regexp ".\C-h" "").

Assuming that "col -b" compatibility is considered preferable, most nroff's
should work in the same way -- and in that case the command used to generate
the man page could pipe through "col -b" and save Emacs some trouble.
--
[Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved] \ ncoast 216 781 6201
[Redistributable only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.] \ 2400 bd.