[comp.emacs] Half Duplex Editor

pabuhr@water.UUCP (07/07/87)

> Article 1238 of comp.emacs:
> From: jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson)
> Newsgroups: comp.emacs
> Subject: Re: 9600 baud problems (was Re: when using termcap, get it right!)
> Date: 6 Jul 87 15:22:59 GMT
> Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
> I wonder if anyone has ever made an intensely interactive application
> like emacs work over a half-duplex line!

I am not sure if this is actually what you were are looking for, but
at the University of Manitoba (Canada), they modified the rom code for
a DT80 terminal to support a powerful full screen editor at
half-duplex. The terminal was a line based editor, that is, you could
make changes to a line on the screen and when you moved off the line
it would be transmitted to the host for insertion in the file.  It was
not as powerful as Emacs (but not that far away either) and
considering it was half-duplex and connected to an Amdahl mainframe,
it was pretty impressive.  As well, it had most of the operations on
the number pad by being able to use the shift key with each number pad
key. Each number pad key had a function (eg. next word) and shift that
key usually did the reverse (eg. previous word).  With fingers on the
function pad and thumb on the shift key, it was possible to perform
editing operations very quickly. If you would like more information I
suggest you contact either:

   Eugene Reimer : ereimer@UOFMCC.bitnet
   Bill Reid     : reid@UOFMCC.bitnet

They have some documentation that they might be willing to send you.

jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM.UUCP (07/09/87)

>> > From: jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson)
>> > I wonder if anyone has ever made an intensely interactive application
>> > like emacs work over a half-duplex line!
>> It was
>> not as powerful as Emacs (but not that far away either) and
>> considering it was half-duplex and connected to an Amdahl mainframe,
>> it was pretty impressive.

Oops!  I forgot all about the class of editors used all the time on
IBM 3270 family terminals.  These are half-duplex devices with local
on-screen editing and the ability to encode only the changes to the
screen to let the host know what's happening.  Modern 3270 full-screen
editors are indeed quite powerful.  I will not risk religious war by
rating them against Emacs.

/jr

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/10/87)

I suppose IBM's XEDIT is not what you're looking for?

> The terminal was a line based editor, that is, you could
> make changes to a line on the screen and when you moved off the line
> it would be transmitted to the host for insertion in the file.  It was
> not as powerful as Emacs (but not that far away either) and
> considering it was half-duplex and connected to an Amdahl mainframe,
> it was pretty impressive.

This is the way everything works on IBM terminals.  The terminal has
a data entry region which you fiddle with using the editing keys on
the terminal, you then hit the ENTER key (different from return) to
send in the edited line.  IBM's XEDIT editor is a powerful interactive
editor (albeit completely different from EMACS) which allows further
operations on the file.

-Ron

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/14/87)

As quoted from <8707091403.AA21054@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> by jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson):
+---------------
| >> not as powerful as Emacs (but not that far away either) and
| >> considering it was half-duplex and connected to an Amdahl mainframe,
| >> it was pretty impressive.
| Oops!  I forgot all about the class of editors used all the time on
| IBM 3270 family terminals.  These are half-duplex devices with local
+---------------

IBM XEDIT (editor for VM/CMS) always struck me as being a sort of half-duplex
Emacs.  (I will, however, use full-duplex Emacs if available in preference
to half-duplex XEDIT.)
--
[Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved] \ ncoast 216 781 6201
[Redistributable only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.] \ 2400 bd.

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (07/18/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.4 of Mon Mar 23 1987 on bu-cs (berkeley-unix)

Several years ago, before XEDIT, a student here at BU wrote an
interesting full screen editor that worked reasonably well on H19 or
equivalent terminals on an IBM half-duplex (3705) line. Basically it
buffered up the keystrokes which were being edited and performed
locally and just kept the edit buffers in sync. It had an escape for
extended commands. It used the local edit ability of the terminal and,
when enter is hit and the whole mess goes down to the machine, run
down the list to figure out how things have changed. The only main
problem was that there was a limit of 255 chars per "record" after
which the IBM multiplexor would just truncate the line. It used an
interesting terminal mode that was in there to support paper tapes
transmission from ttys, I think this was to ensure that the line was
flow controlled. I made some progress writing a similar editor for
use within Lisp on the same system (written in lisp of course.)

As I always say, animals caught in a trap will gnaw their legs off
to escape :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

daveb@geac.UUCP (Dave Brown) (07/19/87)

In article <9763@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>Several years ago, before XEDIT, a student here at BU wrote an
>interesting full screen editor that worked reasonably well on H19 or
>equivalent terminals on an IBM half-duplex (3705) line. Basically it
>buffered up the keystrokes which were being edited and performed
>locally and just kept the edit buffers in sync.

  I once wrote one in competition with my boss at Honeywell, and
I'd like to pass on his version of the algorithm for dealing
with the "buffer overfull" problem:
  read a line from the input
  if it ends in \n, it was properly terminated
    process all the keystrokes
  if it doesn't end in \n, it got truncated
    process all the keystrokes
    redraw from the last cursor position
    ring the terminal bell

  This caught about 99% of the errors, and always warned the user.

  That isn't to say I *recommend* half-duplex editors, though.

--
 David (Collier-) Brown.              |  Computer Science
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  loses its memory