[net.unix-wizards] Experiences with SUN

fpt@wgivax.UUCP (02/18/86)

Since SUN has become almost a household word in the UNIX community,
I thought I would tell the net about our recent (somewhat rough)
experiences as a SUN customer.

My hope is that the right people at SUN may see this, and that some
of our questions and problems will be addressed. Certainly, current
and potential customers of SUN deserve to know.

I am forwarding a copy of a memo from one of us. I have added my own
comments in places (in parens).

				MEMO

from:  Don Mosley					          2-17-86
       Washburn Direct Marketing

to:    Concerned parties

subject:  Sun Microsystems

	This memo is an effort to vent some of the frustrations accumulated
in the acquisition of a Sun3/180.  Some of the problems described here have
been fixed, most are still pending resolution.

1.  Delivery
	System ordered 10-5-85, partially delivered 2-12-86.  Somewhat
	understandable;  Sun was moving to a bigger plant.  The irritating
	part is that delivery was promised on 1-24, 1-31, 2-5, 2-10.

	(Actually, the first promised delivery was '30 days', approx. 11-5)

2.  Incomplete
	System was ordered with 16 line ALM and color monitor.  Monitor is
	promised to ship 2-28.  No one knows when the ALM will ship.  The
	portion that did arrive is missing the software installation manual.
	The Ethernet transceiver kit was missing the screws to hold cable tap
	into transceiver body.  CPU carton did not have a packing list.

	(ALM is a 16 port asynch. mux. The most aggravating thing to me was
	that it was not until we got the box, looked inside, 'hey, where's
	the mux?', that sun told us 'available in limited quantities
	starting in April'. We bought the machine to use. We needed it in
	the promised thirty days. Now we find out we can't put serially
	connected users on it until April?)

3.  Lack of Communication
	We attempted to purchase a GCR 1/2 inch tape controller for the Sun3.
	It took 4 weeks for the salesman to give us a part number and price
	for the parts. Order was placed 1-28.  We found out on 2-10 that the
	tape controller was not available from Sun as a spare part or as a
	system option.  Sun office in Raleigh states the reason for this as
	"they can't figure out how to add the part number to their spare parts
	database".  Really inspires confidence in this organization.

	(Anyone know how to get 9 track tape on a Sun 3? Can we buy the
	parts from someone else? We don't need a drive, just controller.)

	The Sun offices in Raleigh and Atlanta have repeatedly failed to return
	my phone calls.  When they do return calls, the answer is frequently
	"I'll look into it and call you right back", which rarely happens.
	Sales related questions to Sun in California are referred to Raleigh.

4.  Overpricing
	The above mentioned tape controller, a Xylogics 472, is reported to
	cost $3,390 from Sun.  The same part from a computer systems retailer
	costs $1,100.  The 380 mb SMD disk subsystem from Sun costs $19,900.
	The same parts, Xylogics 450 controller, Fujitsu Eagle, VME to Multibus
	adapter would cost $10,750 on the open market.

5.  Questionable Engineering Practices
	The above mentioned disk controller is designed to operate 4 SMD drives.
	As supplied by Sun it will run only 2.  The reason for this is that
	Sun takes the industry standard socket connectors on the Xylogics board
	and jumpers them out to D-connectors on the back panel.  This
	arrangement only has room for 2 drives to connect.
	To go along with this arrangement, each drive will require an adapter
	panel to convert from the D-connectors back to socket connectors that
	most SMD drives use.  Why not just leave the socket connectors on the
	controller alone?  That would allow the use of 4 drives on one
	controller and would eliminate a needless link of cabling which is a
	potential point of failure.

	I feel certain that the Sun3 will be a tremendous system once we get
it all together.  I would also recommend strongly that we look at other
vendors before purchasing any more computers from Sun.  Surely no company could
stay in business and treat it's customers as bad as Sun has.

END OF FORWARDED MEMO

It's seldom that one sees bad press on Sun. I'm wondering what you all think.
Are we unique? Is our problem that we only bought 1 instead of 10? Are these
problems only happening in the East? Or in the Atlanta district (includes
Raleigh)?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Fred Toth
Don Mosley
Washburn Graphics, Inc.
Charlotte, NC
decvax!mcnc!unccvax!wgivax!{fpt,dm}

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/20/86)

In article <147@wgivax.UUCP> fpt@wgivax.UUCP writes:
> The above mentioned disk controller is designed to operate 4 SMD drives.
> As supplied by Sun it will run only 2.  The reason for this is that
> Sun takes the industry standard socket connectors on the Xylogics board
> and jumpers them out to D-connectors on the back panel.  This
> arrangement only has room for 2 drives to connect.

	Far be it from me to defend Sun against bad press (and yes, I agree
that their peripherals are priced out of this world), but the problem with
the disk attachments may be more due to FCC rules than any fault of Sun's
engineering.  As of about 2 years ago, the FCC has strict rules on RFI
emissions from computers which are creating packaging headaches for
manufacturers.

	Pre-FCC, nobody paid much attention to packaging; all you needed
was a 19-inch rack to hold everything off the floor and enough switched
outlets to plug everything into.  Side panels and fans helped move cooling
air around, but other than that it was mostly just decoration.  You used to
be able to simply run flat cables from the controller, out the back of the
CPU box, and across the floor to the drive.  Now you now have to go
through shielded bulkheads and use shielded external cables.

	There is extra cost involved, and a lot of re-thinking in the
packaging department.  Why do you think DEC's MSCP cables cost so much?
All that shielded coax with those crazy bulkhead connectors ain't cheap.
I't hard to see how a regular flat cable connector could meet the FCC
requirements.  It may be a pain, but in the long run I guess it's all for
the best.  I'm sure the radio astronomers and hams appreciate the effort.
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (02/20/86)

I hate to be a pessimist, but our experience is that MOST small computer
companies treat their customers "this way".  Delays in delivery,
non-availability of new hardware, and so on seem to be the norm in this
industry.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (02/21/86)

 Re the question whether other people having same experience:  for the first
 3 paragraphs, I thought that your letter was coming from someone I just talked
 to in Cambridge. order date, 'promise' dates, and arrival dates virtually
 identical. His is a 3/160, tho.

 It's too bad. I really hope Sun gets on track and succeeds.  But they're going
 for broke with sales, and can't keep up with the growth.

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (02/21/86)

Your experiences are not unique; we've been having problems with Sun
for as long as anyone here can remember (I've only been dealing with
them for the past 18 months).  I know they're still considered by many
to be a startup company, so perhaps some of our problems are
unavoidable.

We think the machines are really nice - our lab, 100 computer
scientists, has 75 of them, with 15 more on order - but the sales and
support leave much to be desired.

Sales:

We and other customers at our site have had to wait up to 3 months to
get quotes on certain items (disk cables, source code, maintenance
contracts).  As with you, California says they can't help us and we
have to wait for the local office to get around to doing things.

We don't appreciate the fact that, after we've placed
orders, they can rarely tell us when the orders will be shipped.
Memory boards and color upgrades have typically taken 6 to 8 months to
ship, and we're still waiting for some things we ordered last summer.
YOU try telling a department head who wants to put a color monitor on
his Sun that you have no idea when it will come, and that it
may not be until 1987!

When ordering entire systems, one gets faster delivery (within a month
or two of the projected date).  But file servers always seem to get
delivered last, and in some cases (as with the people in a neighboring
building who have had diskless Sun-3 clients sitting unused since late
December) this makes the portion of the order that's been delivered
pretty useless.  We've gotten into the habit of stating "no partials"
on our orders.

Maintenance:

We purchased an "on-site" service contract in late 1984, and were told
in writing that it was Sun's intent to put someone physically at our
site full-time.  We paid a lot for this (1.3% of list price per machine
per month), yet they still don't have someone residing on-site.  I was
told by someone in another company that Sun's service contract prices
were lowered in March 1985; when I asked Sun about this, they said that
price list didn't apply to us, since we were paying extra for the
COMMITMENT to have someone resident on-site.  After a series of
meetings over the last few months, Sun agreed to lower the prices to
those in the July 1985 price list.

We've also heard that a $1500/site/month software contract has been
available for some time, possibly dating from early 1985.  Our lab
is paying over $3000 per month for software maintenance (assuming $70
to $75 per machine per month, which can be extracted from the different
rates in the current price list), and there are other customers
at this location that are also paying this rate.  We have asked
Sun several times to give us retroactive credit, since we
certainly would have converted to the lower-priced contract had we known
about it, but we're still waiting for action.

The skill of the field service people has varied widely, and I could
tell some real horror stories, but don't think it's worth describing
them here because I feel it's mainly a result of Sun's growing pains.
I'll note a few things: (1) some people will still not let any Sun FE
touch their systems because of some particularly bad experiences.
(2) Sun's on-site service contract differs from many other
companies' in that it doesn't specify the maximum time period that can
elapse between the logging of a call and the point at which an FE comes
to see you.  It can sometimes be more than a week.

We received some Sun-3's in late December/early January.  None of them
are yet in service, and the warranties are half over.  2 of the 7
systems were short-shipped (missing cables), and repeated phone calls
have not yet gotten any action.  We don't have a vme tape drive, and
thus can't load the 3.0 software onto the Sun-3's (the version of the
software that will work on our Sun-2 systems, which is where all our
tape drives lie, is not available to us yet).  Sun couldn't accommodate
us in any way (e.g. by loaning us a vme-to-multibus adapter or a vme
tape drive for a day).

Last week, we got tired of waiting for a miracle and got things loaded
onto one system by hauling its disks over to Sun's district office and
put them in a 160, and the 160 dropped dead after 2 days (bad cpu
board).  The person logging the service call here thought that maybe
Sun could bring in a new cpu board when they dropped by to fix some
other systems (we have about 50 Sun-2 systems on contract, and the FE
comes here at least once a week).  NO!  We had to buy an on-site
service contract for this new system first!

After some people higher up at Sun were contacted, they said they could
make an exception in just this one case (but we had already decided to
call up the eastern service center, which arranged to have California
ship us a cpu board in the mail with hopefully a week's delay); the
effort expended in getting this concession underscored to us that
Sun has little interest in building good working relationships with
their customers.  Despite the fact that my lab has 1.5 million dollars
worth of Suns, and spends over $100K per year for maintenance, Sun
won't do anything they're not required to do.  Sun may argue that they
can't make exceptions if they are to make money; we argue that buying
computer systems is more than just signing contracts and exchanging
cash for hardware, and that when our users and staff get a negative
feeling about a vendor, it's time to start looking for another vendor.

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp

grandi@noao.UUCP (Steve Grandi) (02/22/86)

I guess it is nice to know that our bad experiences are not unique!
But it sure is frustrating to have equipment arrive that doesn't work,
to have to deal with seemingly incompetent salespeople, and to have
delivery dates treated like fiction.  None of these things are
disasters; we now know how to make a mousehouse work and when
something is REALLY wrong, we get one day service on replacement boards.
And we chose Suns over microVAXes, Integrated Solutions boxes, et al.
with our eyes open.

Two specific questions:  Has anyone yet received a 68020 upgrade for
their VME Sun-2s?  Is the cgi library source included on your source
distribution tape for v2.0?
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ, 602-325-9228
{arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!grandi  grandi%draco@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (02/23/86)

In article <455@carina.noao.UUCP> grandi@noao.UUCP writes:
>Is the cgi library source included on your source
>distribution tape for v2.0?

Only the source to cgitool came, not libcgi or libcgi77, with our 2.0 source
tape.  -mark

--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) (02/24/86)

I won't bother to quote the original article. I have also had some
bad experiences with Sun as well as good. The bad seems to be that
they are in their corporate expansion, very likely to cut some
corners especially as far as making the waiting customer happy.
We were told that they would make a certain shipping date on a
*very* important shipment and about one week before the expected
arrival of equipment I called about something else and was told
that they had rescheduled delivery a month later and had neglected
to tell me! I have yet to find out whether they will make good on this
because it was equipment necessary to make a super important show.
They knew how important it was because we had negotiated the OEM
agreement based on their delivery as scheduled. So at least
verbally it was a breach of contract. I think that they will make good
on it, but I am waiting.
	As far as the mark-up of peripherals that is actually pretty
standard (look at DEC prices). I feel that Sun in general is probably
not so bad. Sun is trying to become another DEC and their success
in the cutthroat Generic Unix box is probably going to be related to
how well they keep their delivery schedules (and Q/C)

On the other hand alot of their support has been good and I am certainly
very happy with the product.
                           Erik James Freed
			   Aurora Systems
			   San Francisco, CA
			   {dual,ptsfa}!aum!freed

doug@isieng.UUCP (Doug Swartz) (02/26/86)

From: Doug Swartz

I am the President of Integrated Solutions, a company that competes
directly with Sun Microsystems in the 4.2 BSD workstation business and
am thus clearly NOT an unbiased observer. I noticed your net mail with
great interest. I am not sending this mail out as sour grapes nor as
an effort to sell you anything, so I am not going to tell you at all
about our product. Further, before I begin I do not mean this mail to
imply that our products are perfect nor that we have only completely happy
customers.

I liken what has happened with Sun Microsystems to be very much like
the case of Emperors clothes. They seem to have a very effective
mechanism (which I admire by the way) for suppressing all negative
information about themselves and their products. By talking to the
people I know that work at Sun, I have found that they have had two
layoffs, had or have ( I get two different stories) acknowledged mix
and match problems between their CPU and memory boards, ie, memory
boards have to be hand selected to work with CPU cards, had problems
some time ago with defective memory chips and have the same quality
control problems that all fast growing American companies seem to
have. And yet not of these things ever appear in the press even though
Sun appears to make the front page of Computer Systems News at least
every other issue. It seems that everyone, including the press, feels
that everyone else feels that Sun is such a great company that no one
dares to criticize it.

At first I felt guilty about writing this mail because I feel that it
kind of a perversion of what is supposed to be a network for
distributing technical information to bad mouth a competitor. However,
I remember numerous articles extolling the virtues of the Sun product
written both by current and former Sun employees and I didn't feel
guilty any more. I am glad that you had the courage to say "Hey that
guy's at least a little bit naked".

On your question about the SMD cables, it is actually technically a
violation of the SMD specification to have any connectors in the link
between the SMD controller and the drive and can lead to higher than
normal soft error rates although the SMD specification is so conservative
that I doubt you will ever see this problem unless your cables are
extremely long.