[comp.emacs] Ultrix 2.0 problem

sshurr@wellesley.EDU (Scott Shurr) (07/17/87)

We just installed Ultrix V2.0 on our MicroVAX II.  Everything seems to
be fine except the M X compile command of GNU emacs doesn't work anymore.
After issuing the command and typing in a compile command (in this case
cc something.c -o something) the editor hangs without making the window
for the compile messages.  This happened with Emacs 18.38.  I rebuilt
the latest version of Emacs that we have (18.45) and the problem remains.
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so has anyone solved it?  Thanks
in advance for any help anyone can offer.
--Scott Shurr         sshurr@wellesley.edu

pat@tifsil.UUCP (Pat Peters) (07/20/87)

in article <8707171837.AA21121@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, sshurr@wellesley.EDU (Scott Shurr) says:

> We just installed Ultrix V2.0 on our MicroVAX II.  Everything seems to
> be fine except the M X compile command of GNU emacs doesn't work anymore.

We are running GNU 18.41 here on Ultrix 2.0 with no problems.  All I had to
do was recompile.

--
Patrick Peters                 UUCP:    ut-sally!im4u!ti-csl!tifsie!pat
Texas Instruments                          sun!texsun!ti-csl!tifsie!pat

rad@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Dick Dramstad) (07/24/87)

Scott,

>We just installed Ultrix V2.0 on our MicroVAX II.  Everything seems to
>be fine except the M X compile command of GNU emacs doesn't work anymore.
>After issuing the command and typing in a compile command (in this case
>cc something.c -o something) the editor hangs without making the window
>for the compile messages.

	This is a real wild guess, as I haven't even read the 2.0
documentation yet, but with 2.0 Ultrix's default C compiler is no
longer the standard run-of-the-mill portable C compiler.  (It's still
available on the system for kernel building, however.)  Could it be
that the way DEC's new C compiler (it's the Ultrix port of the VAX/VMS
C compiler) spits out error messages, or the way it's invoked is
screwing up the GNU compile command?

	Just a thought...

Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre-bedford.arpa

reeves@decvax.UUCP (Jon Reeves) (07/24/87)

In article <8707241602.AA22657@mitre-bedford.ARPA> rad@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Dick Dramstad) writes:
>                   ... with 2.0 Ultrix's default C compiler is no
>longer the standard run-of-the-mill portable C compiler.
>... (it's the Ultrix port of the VAX/VMS C compiler)

I'm not sure what "default" means there, but with 2.0, "cc" still gets
you a pcc-based compiler; if you say "vcc", you'll get the VAX C/Ultrix
compiler (which usually does a better job of optimizing).  There have been
numerous bug fixes since 1.2, however.

I'm not an emacs user, so I don't know the answer to the original
question.
--
Jon Reeves	decvax!reeves -or- reeves@decvax.dec.com
"[T]he use of the binary system in the machine is a passing phase ..."

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/27/87)

In article <8707241602.AA22657@mitre-bedford.ARPA> rad@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Dick Dramstad) writes:
>Scott,
>
>>We just installed Ultrix V2.0 on our MicroVAX II.  Everything seems to
>>be fine except the M X compile command of GNU emacs doesn't work anymore.

>	This is a real wild guess, as I haven't even read the 2.0
>documentation yet, but with 2.0 Ultrix's default C compiler is no
>longer the standard run-of-the-mill portable C compiler. ...

Just to squash any false info....  This is not true. The default C
Compiler is /bin/cc which *is* the same C Compiler (give or take...)
that was in 1.2.  The VAX/C compiler (VAX/C being a trademark etc etc)
is there as /usr/bin/vcc.

Fred