[comp.emacs] Public Domain Emacs wanted that [SORT OF] uses termcap

mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) (07/28/87)

In article <8707272125.AA17901@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> USGCORB@LEHIIBM1.BITNET (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>It was my assumption that all Unix emacs'es supported termcap.  You could
>get microemacs or full gnuemacs.  Microemacs is on simtel20 and gnuemacs

We have microemacs 3.8l and the arrow keys, which are clearly defined in
our terminfo driver, do not work.  Any idea why?
|     Mark Steven Jeghers: the terrorist smuggling CIA weapons to Libya      |
|     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
|     Standard Disclaimer:  Contents may have settled during shipment.       |

billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) (07/30/87)

in article <249@cogent.UUCP>, mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) says:

> In article <8707272125.AA17901@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> USGCORB@LEHIIBM1.BITNET (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>>It was my assumption that all Unix emacs'es supported termcap.  You could
>>get microemacs or full gnuemacs.  Microemacs is on simtel20 and gnuemacs
>
> We have microemacs 3.8l and the arrow keys, which are clearly defined in
> our terminfo driver, do not work.  Any idea why?
> --
> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |     Mark Steven Jeghers: the terrorist smuggling CIA weapons to Libya      |
> |     {ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-lcc,lll-crg}|{dual,ptsfa}!cogent!mark                |
> |     Standard Disclaimer:  Contents may have settled during shipment.       |
> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

MicroEMACS uses just basic termcap functionality which includes
positioning the cursor, clearing the screen etc.  Not too long ago, I
started work on a curses version which would use the function key
definitions in curses.h.

Well -- that part was easy.  The only problem is that the screen
updating has problems now.  Error messages are displayed on the top
line, and while entering text, the cursor is displayed on the next line.
I was hoping to avoid doing a refresh() after each keystroke to keep
down the overhead, but it appears necessary so you can see what you
type.

Hopfully I'll get the thing working soon!

-Bill

	Name:		William D. Burton
	US Mail:	P.O. Box 621, Concord, MA 01742
	UUCP:		...!seismo!husc6!amcad!billb
	ARPANET:	billb%amcad.uucp@husc6.harvard.edu