Date: 29 Jul 87 15:53:37 GMT
From: Rod Rebello
 <amdcad!amd!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!rod@UCBVAX.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re: Want Vi customization of Emacs.
Sender: UNIX-EMACS distribution list <EMACS@TCSVM>
To: your name <QUINN@UTORPHYS>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was unix-emacs-request@BBN.COM
Comments: To: unix-emacs@BBN.COM

In article <3863@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <261@zehntel.UUCP> larryg@zinfandel.UUCP (Larry Gillespie) writes:
>
>> ... I have a couple of Emacses available to me, including GNU Emacs
>>for Unix 4.3bsd ... I am certain that it is possible to customize
>>Emacs so that it behaves EXACTLY like vi ... Does anyone have such an
                           ^^^^^^^
>>animal?
>
>Have you looked at GNU Emacs' VIP-mode?  Say `M-x info', then `m vip'.

Larry wants an EXACT implementation of VI in Emacs.  I have tried the
VIP-mode, and found a number of inconsistancies versus "true" VI.
These were irrating enough so that I gave up on it.  I have resigned
myself to learning Emacs, primarily because I also have Emacs on my
PC (MicroEmacs).  I hate trying to switch gears every time I move from
system to system.

    Rod Rebello
    ...!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!rod

Postmaster@UTORPHYS.BITNET (PMDF Mail Server) (08/03/87)

The message could not be delivered to:

Addressee: QUINN
Reason: %MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node MCL2

Date: Sun, 2 Aug 87 19:30:09 edt
From: Keith Moore <moore@UTKCS2.CS.UTK.EDU>
Subject: Re: GNU/VMS Question (bug in GNU Emacs under VMS 4.5)
Sender: UNIX-EMACS distribution list <EMACS@TCSVM>
To: your name <QUINN@UTORPHYS>
Comments: To: Carl Fussell <carl%scu.BITNET@wiscvm.arpa>
Comments: cc: unix-emacs@BBN.COM, bug-gnu-emacs@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU

>We have been running GNUEMACS 18.47 for the last few weeks on a
>VAX 8650/VMS V4.4 system.  This morning we upgraded to V4.5 and
>emacs "broke" with an Access Violation from the routine
>fatal_signal_error (or maybe sys_getenv).  I tried recompiling
>and linking the sources to no avail.  I tried VAX C ver 2.2
>and ver 2.3 with the same results (our original working emacs
>was compiled with C ver 2.2 under VMS 4.4).
>
>Has anyone else managed to get gnuemacs running under VMS 4.5?
>If you have, I would very much appreciate hearing about your
>experiences.  Any info would be helpful.
>
>Thanx for any help or advice...
>
>Carl Fussell
>Santa Clara University
>CARL@SCU.BITNET

The same thing happened to me.  I tried relinking - no luck.  So
I went into the debugger and found out that the environ variable
gets garbaged when Emacs maps emacs.dump to its address space.
So I relinked again (/nodebug this time), ran build.com, installed
the new copies of (t)emacs.exe and (t)emacs.dump, and all seems
to be well.

This is with GNU Emacs v18.46 for VMS, compiled with VAX C v2.2.

Keith Moore            Internet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
UT Computer Science Dept.    CSnet: moore@tennessee
Knoxville Tennessee        BITNET: moore@utkcs1