[comp.emacs] VT100 keypad and cursor keys

i111@ztivax.UUCP (07/31/87)

Does anybody know, how to bind the VT100 arrow keys and perhaps the
keypad keys into MicroEmacs 3.8i?
I compiled it on a SUN workstation under BSD4.2 and use it with a
Tektronix 4107 in VT100 mode.
Now I can't rebind these keys, because they are sending escape
sequences with 3 characters, and Emacs can obviously handle only up
to 2 characters.
I want to make the Emacs to look more like an EDT editor, so I have
yo define the keypad keys.
Can somebody give me a hint please ?

My adress:
Siemens AG
ZTI Inf 112
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
D 8000 Muenchen 83
West-Germany

email adress:    ...unido!
			   \
			      ztivax!i111
			   /
	      ... siemens!

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (08/04/87)

In article <37400001@ztivax.UUCP> i111@ztivax.UUCP writes:
>Does anybody know, how to bind the VT100 arrow keys and perhaps the
>keypad keys into MicroEmacs 3.8i?

>Now I can't rebind these keys, because they are sending escape
>sequences with 3 characters, and Emacs can obviously handle only up
>to 2 characters.

>Siemens AG
>ZTI Inf 112
>Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
>D 8000 Muenchen 83
>West-Germany

This problem has come up so often that I wanted to pose a couple of
possible solutions. For MicroEMACS 3.8l and earlier, if you have a set
of functions keys you would like to bind...

bind-to-key execute-macro-30 M-[
30	store-macro
	set %eseq &asc &gtkey
	!if &seq %eseq "A"
		do one option...
	!endif
	!if &seq %eseq "B"
		another option
	!endif
		<etc>

If you have, or when you get version 3.9, a more graceful fix is
possible using the new &bind function that returns the name of a
function bound to a given text key sequence:

bind-to-key execute-macro-30 M-[
30	store-macro
	set %eseq &gtkey
	&ind &cat "FN" &asc %eseq
!endm

	I hope this is helpfull,
			Daniel Lawrence
			UUCP:	ihnp4!pur-ee!j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533
			ATT:	(317) 742-5153