[comp.emacs] getting sys$login:.emacs loaded

aaa@mtuni.ATT.COM (Aaron Akman) (01/01/70)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.37.4 of Wed Mar  4 1987 on mtuni (usg-unix-v)

Sorry to post this to the net, but i did not know how to get this to
the original poster...

I am running a version of GNU on the 3B2, and it works just fine.
Here are some suggestions:

*1.  my 3B2/400 (and the other one I have been able to access) cannot cat into
*or cat (as in display) files more than 1048576 bytes, or even cp this many.
>If you can, become root, and change your ULIMIT.  This is the size of
>the largest file...you can find out more about how to do this by
>looking in ulimit(2) in the user's manual, or (i think) there may be a
>command to change it..."ulimit 8192" would make you ULIMIT be 4Mbytes.
>This should fix your cat problems.

*4. Main point:  since the executable emacs is 1.5 meg...
>Gosh, my executable is way under a Meg!  I think I don't compile with
the -g option, but even if you think yours will be >1.5 meg, just do
this:

	su root
	ulimit 8192
	sub-shell inherits 8192
	su your-id
	make

--

Aaron, mtuni!aaa, 201-957-2751

peter@julian.UUCP (07/22/87)

I was trying to set up some keyboard re-mappings for version 17.VMS4 of
GNUEMACS on our VMS system.  I read the instructions and created a file
named sys$login:.emacs with the appropriate lisp code in it.  It never gets
loaded.  If I load the file manually it works fine except that even when my
default directory is sys$login I still have to specify the whole name.
Can someone help me with this
probably trivial problem?
--
Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7

mende@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) (07/28/87)

In article <683@julian.UWO.CDN| peter@julian.UUCP writes:
| I was trying to set up some keyboard re-mappings for version 17.VMS4 of
| GNUEMACS on our VMS system.  I read the instructions and created a file
| named sys$login:.emacs with the appropriate lisp code in it.  It never gets
| loaded.  If I load the file manually it works fine except that even when my
| default directory is sys$login I still have to specify the whole name.
| Can someone help me with this
| probably trivial problem?

   I dont know your problem, but I have my emacs init file in my home
directory and it is called .emacs (yes... VMS hates a empty file name
and just a extension).  What version of emacs are you using???  I have
seen the problem with some logical root trees (have not done enough
work to define the problem totaly) and I have seen that it will not
automaticly complete directory names (remember that directorys are not
normal files ( there is no file foo:[dir.subdirectory ... the brackets
dont mach)).  The other problem (which may been a feature) I have seen
is that emacs UPPERCASSES file and buffer names.
   This is in GNUemacs 18.47

				Bob
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@pisces.bitnet

kerpelma@othello.steinmetz (Kerpelman) (07/28/87)

---

In article <683@julian.UWO.CDN> peter@julian.UUCP writes:

>I was trying to set up some keyboard re-mappings for version 17.VMS4 of
>GNUEMACS on our VMS system.  I read the instructions and created a file
>named sys$login:.emacs with the appropriate lisp code in it.  It never gets
>loaded.

I'm using version 18 but I seem to recall that under version 17, you have to
define a logical for your emacs initialization file as follows:

$define emacsini sys$login:.emacs

Since emacs searches via a logical, the file name can be anything.  You can
put this statement in your login.com file.  If you're planning to use version
18, things change.  In particular, I believe the existence of a .emacs file
in your sys$login directory is sufficient, as you expected.  Also, your
initialization file gets executed BEFORE the standard initialization file
which can cause some problems.  I've seen a work around for this.

Hope this is accurate and that it helps.

Dan Kerpelman                              ARPA:  kerpelman@ge-crd.arpa
GE Corporate R&D                           UUCP:  kerpelman@steinmetz.ge.com
Schenectady, NY                              GE:  ctsvax::kerpelman
USA                                         tel:  (518) 387-5086

krishna@athena.mit.edu ( ???) (08/09/87)

hi.  sorry, but I'm new to posting articles, and I'm not sure if a 'followup'
article is exactly what I want to be posting, but...

Does anyone know how I can get a version of gnuemacs for the AT&T 3B2 unix
system V?  It doesn't have a lisp compiler, and I'm not sure if it'll
work transferred straight from any source, probably because, well,
I'm a pessimist.
Any help?
Krishna Sethuraman
(krishna@artemis.mit.edu, krishna@msudoc.egr.msu.edu,
seismo!pur-ee!eecae!msudoc!krishna  (?)
{allegra,seismo}!mit-eddie!mit-athe>
RC
RC

mrd@SUN.MCS.CLARKSON.EDU ("Michael R. DeCorte") (08/10/87)

I have it up on 3b2/400's.  Just get the source and compile.  You only
need make, cd, ln, rm, cc, tar.  That's it (I think there may be a few others
but the point is that you need nothing special).
mrd@clutx.clarkson.edu

krishna@athena.mit.edu ( ???) (08/13/87)

aarrrgghhh!!! I  got ispell from prep, and I can't make it!  I am now in
the process of transferring emacs after 2 days of crappy ftp problems, and
I'm not even sure if it'll go!  That person who said that they had the 3b2..
do you have the math accelerator unit and the floating point c compiler?
That's _all_ I have.  I don't have cc, and I can't rename fpcc to cc, because
it won't accept it.  Are you also sure that you have the system V os, release
3.0?  If not, I'm gonna be pissed...
(sorry.  having _big_ problems getting stuff to ftp. you understand)
does emacs have a $CC variable?  even so, can I still make it, even with
this freak (/bin/fpcc) of AT&T?

Experiencing meltdown,
Krishna Sethuraman
(krishna@msudoc.egr.msu.edu)

krishna@athena.mit.edu ( ???) (08/13/87)

my face is red.  not due to rage, but...well. anyway.
ispell.tar  needs stat.h to make, and I don't know whaT ELSE (i.e., mine
stopped att nnot finding stat and quit)
even the mainframes don't have this bit of code.  (i.e,
msudoc.egr.msu.edu, artemis.mit.edu) .  What is it, hat makes it so
important, and why isn't it included in the ispell.tar package?
(i.e., since it's not unr/include on the big machines  I have access
to?)

ispell.tar is on prep.ai.mit.edu

Krishna Sethuraman
krishna@msudoc.egr.msu.edu

you don't want to see my signature.  my mom thinks it's msesy and has
ostracized me for it.

krishna@athena.mit.edu ( ???) (08/15/87)

AAAiiiieeee!!!
1.  my 3B2/400 (and the other one I have been able to access) cannot cat into
or cat (as in display) files more than 1048576 bytes, or even cp this many.

2. (what does this have to do with emacs?)  Aha, what does this have
to do with emacs, you might ask.  Well, the tarred, compressed file is
3357174 bytes long (or something like that) and therefore will not
copy anywhere you might want to put it on the 3B2.  The only to get it
around is to ftp it (i.e., you have to ftp it to the 3B2 from the
source, then ftp it within the 3B2 to put it into another directory.)

3.  uncompress, zcat don't work on a file this big on a 3B2/400, as
you might expect from the 1048576 byte limit on regular cat or cp.
(yeah, so, why don't you just copy the files one by one?)

4. Main point:  since the executable emacs is 1.5 meg, I am now
deathly afraid that 3 nights of staying up till 2 am trying to get the
damn thing going will end up in me having all the files, trying to
build emacs, and having Mr. 3B2 tell me that it can't build a file
this big, and me putting the 3B2 under my feet and jumping out the 2nd
story window.
The person who said that you have emacs up and working, does your
machine have a limit on the number of bytes (i.e., 1.04 meg) that can
be xferred around the filesystem?  I.e., if you try to

cat >> < 1048576 byte file>
foo bar etc lisp info cpp shortname gnu gdb gas buzz argh
^D

it returns
cat: cannot write  (-1/4 bytes written)
or something of the sort
?
and what files are unpacked when emacs is untarred?
the edist.tar.Z file I xferred to a bigger mainframe and untarred
gave me a directory checksum or some other sort of error at
dist-18.47/lisp/abbrev.elc
and quit.

(if (eq receiving-help t)
     (breathe sigh-of-relief)