[comp.emacs] Running processes in the background...

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) (08/20/87)

I need help with the following task.  I'd like to be able to start a process
in the background, and have some emacs-lisp code executed after it finishes.
For example, consider a version of shell-command that returned immediately
after creating a background process to run the shell-command, but popped
up a window with the results of the shell-command after the command
terminated.  Calling call-process with buffer = 0 runs the process in the
background, but also throws away the output of the process; also, you can't
specify lisp code to be executed after the process does terminate.

Can someone tell me how to do this?  Thanx in advance.

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,linus,seismo}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (08/21/87)

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) writes:
> I'd like to be able to start a process
> in the background, and have some emacs-lisp code executed after it finishes.

Try:

set-process-sentinel:
Give PROCESS the sentinel SENTINEL; nil for none.
The sentinel is called as a function when the process changes state.
It gets two arguments: the process, and a string describing the
change.

Dale
--
Dale Worley	Cullinet Software		ARPA: cullvax!drw@eddie.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw