[comp.emacs] key bindings for Micro-EMACS Comment on wind/graphics intrfc

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (08/26/87)

In article <450@cimcor.UUCP> mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) writes:
>How about a public domain implementation of curses on top of termcap
>so one wouldn't always have to write to the lowest common denominator.
>Steve Jobs is probably right in saying that some common windowing and graphics
>interface is desperately needed for UNIX if it is going to maintain itself
>against the OS/2s and Macs in this world ( at least in that range of hardware).
>Curses isn't that answer, of course.

I think Steve Jobs meant that we should stop worrying about supporting
archaic modes of interaction (the terminal) and get on to supporting modern
bitmapped displays and the graphical/iconic modes of interaction that such
hardware can support. X windows seems to be the current unix-trend in this
direction, and may prove to be the low-level portion of a "common windowing and
graphics interface" that will make UNIX "maintain itself against the OS//2s
and Macs in this world". The MacApp toolkit of the X windows world has
unfortunately not yet been built, although the Xray (HP), Xtools (DEC), and
sX (UC Berkeley) toolkits are certainly a step in that direction.

-- Niels Mayer.
   HP Labs.