[comp.emacs] EMACS on an IBM?

art@eddie.MIT.EDU (Arturo Perez) (08/20/87)

Hello,
   Someone in my organization wants to know whether there are any emacses
available for IBM mainframes.  I'm not quite sure what hardware type of
mainframe, but I do know that we have both the MVS and the VM/CMS types
of IBM.  Is there any chance of finding such an emacs?

If you have any information please contact me directly at ComputerVision
(as opposed to replying to this message).  The EMAIL address would be

		..!harvard!cvbnet!blazer!aperez

in uucp-ese.  Thanx mightily!

Arturo Perez

P.S.  It IS impossible to put GNU on an IBM/PC, isn't it?

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/20/87)

It would be very hard indeed to run EMACS on an IBM mainframe running
MVS or VM/CMS in the normal environment as all CRT traffic is characterized
as running in the 3270 framework.  The 3270 edits the user input locally
and then transmits it as a whole to the host.  There is no easy way to
go into the "raw mode" style that EMACS operates in.  Besides, IBM has
a very nice screen editor of their own called the Text Editing System
Product (XEDIT).  I've been thinking of stealing portions of this for
EMACS because it has some pretty slick functions that aren't available
in EMACS (yet).

You might get by with EMACS if you either 1, use AMDAHL's UNIX which
uses special non-IBM-style ASCII termial interfaces or 2, encapsulated
things trough special TCP/IP TELNET sessions.

-Ron

amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) (08/21/87)

From the distant past I can vaguely remember a package called YTERM, that
was developed by the Yale Computer Center, and which makes IBM mainframes
support many ASCII terminals. I think that they used to charge something
for YTERM, although they may have reversed their decision. I have no further
details, but if someone from YCC is listening, they may provide them.

With YTERM, supporting GnuEmacs doesn't seem to be a formidable task.
--
--Neta Amit (amit@umn-cs.arpa)
  University of Minnesota CSci

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/21/87)

The product that Yale is most known for is called (in the IBM world)
the "Yale IUP."  This was the forerunner of the CRT protocol converter.
It uses a Series/1 to convert ASCII cursor-addressable terminals into
an emulation of a 3270.  This was later superseded by IBM by the 7171
device that does the same thing and by a whole slew of second parties.
The level of service provided is similar to what you get when you run
TN3270 to a IBM host on TCP.

The only product that I know of that gives the kind of terminal support
you'd need for EMACS is AMDAHL's special EP for their 4705 which provides
the ASCII character oriented I/O needed for their UNIX product.

-Ron

nate@cpocd2.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <14104@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>It would be very hard indeed to run EMACS on an IBM mainframe running
>MVS or VM/CMS in the normal environment as all CRT traffic is characterized
>as running in the 3270 framework.  The 3270 edits the user input locally
>and then transmits it as a whole to the host.  There is no easy way to
>go into the "raw mode" style that EMACS operates in.

Has anyone successfully ported GNU Emacs, just running in batch mode, to
VM/CMS?  Given the <CR>-interrupt nature of IBM hardware, I wouldn't see
much hope of getting interactive Emacs sessions going, as Ron says;
however, it would be nice for all the Emacs-Lisp editing and
file-massaging scripts I've written to run w/o change on the IBM.

--woodstock
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!nate
<domainish> :   nate@cpocd2.intel.com		ATT :    (602) 961-2037