[comp.emacs] Standard Emacs

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (09/04/87)

One of the advantages of Emacs editors is that they behave the same. ^F
advances a character, ^N moves to the next line, and so on. This makes it
easy to use different Emacs editors on different systems. Of course there
is also a disadvantage: they all behave different. When you compare GNU
Emacs, Unipress (Gosling) Emacs, Jove, MicroEmacs, Scame and others,
you'll find nasty differences in the names of functions and variables, and
in the default binding of keystrokes. Some of them allow you to redefine
functions, and most of them allow you to change key bindings.
Because I consider GNU Emacs to be the most original Emacs (all Emacs
documentation mention Richard Stallman to be the "inventor") all the others
spend a considerable amount of time to process custom start-up files which
make them look (more or less) like GNU Emacs.

How about making them all "standard" ? ANSI-Emacs ?

In article <1269@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>Because I consider GNU Emacs to be the most original Emacs (all Emacs
>documentation mention Richard Stallman to be the "inventor")

While Stallman is the inventor of EMACS, GNU EMACS is one of the
youngest EMACS implementations around.  He invented EMACS about ten
years ago for the PDP-10's at MIT (running an MIT homebrew operating
system called ITS).  There are many differences, including changed key
bindings, between PDP-10 EMACS and GNU EMACS.  For example, PDP-10
EMACS doesn't have any of the C-C-prefixed key-bindings.  I think
Stallman got many of GNU EMACS's key bindings from Gosling (Unipress)
EMACS, presumably because it was so common in the Unix community.  (On
the other hand, Zimmerman, who wrote CCA EMACS, strove to maintain
compatibility with PDP-10 EMACS.)

---
Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
seismo!think!barmar

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/06/87)

Guess again.  RMS was the inventor, but GNU EMACS was the second
pass at it.  Do not deny Warren Montgomery, James Gosling, Jonathon
Payne, etc... credit for giving us the early decent C/UNIX versions of
EMACS.