[comp.emacs] Emacs as Login Shell? No, Thanks!

jack@hpindda.UUCP (09/23/87)

> In article <3590005@hpindda.HP.COM> jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning)
> writes:
> >I do NOT use emacs as my log-in shell...
>
> Why not?

Well, that deserves a whole new basenote.

Here are my reasons:

(1) I can't read this stuff we're reading now from within Emacs.  I
know some people can, but my local systems run notes, not news, and I
haven't yet heard of an emacs-to-notes bridge.

(2) I can't get to the ksh history from my last session from within an
emacs shell-window (emacs eats the emacs-mode thingies, but only
searches within the current buffer, ergo within the current session).

(3) I occasionally have to blow my emaxen away, haveing consumed
unsociable amounts of swap space by working on an entire HP-UX kernel.
I've even run into the gnuemacs warning about reaching 75% of
available space (and, I think my gnuemacs then crashed, btw, although
I wasn't in the area at the time, and it might have been something
else).  When I exit such an emacs, I'd like not to lose the various
backgrounded telnets, envariables, command histories, and other
context items I've built up in my shells.

(4) I find "cd, ls" a more friendly way to wander around hunting for
things that dired (and I like my ls's to come out several per line,
thanks just the same).  Yes, I could alias ls to "ls -x", but then
what about my lsf's?  Yes, I could alias them, too.  Somewhere along
the line, though, I begin to wonder whether it's worth it to pimp so
extensively for my editor, when my shell already does the right thing.

Anybody got a graceful fix for those?  Maybe you could convert me!

Jack Repenning			   (jack@hpda.hp.com, (408) 447-3380)