[comp.emacs] make Rmail reply only to sender

ansley@sunybcs.uucp (William Ansley) (10/14/87)

Does anybody know of a way in standard GNU-emacs, under 4.3 BSD UNIX, using
Rmail to reply to only the sender and not to everyone on the Cc: list.

Besides editiong the headers, I mean.

I have twice embarrassed myself because I forgot to do this.  What I would
like is another command that can be bound to a key sequence that acts like the
UNIX mail utility's R command rather then like r.  As far as I can tell, this
isn't built in to GNU (we have version 18.47).  Has anybody written an
extention to GNU-emacs that does this?

Please use email, if you can.  I will summarize any useful info I get.

William H. Ansley, Graduate Student        csnet:	ansley@buffalo.csnet
uucp:	..!{allegra,decvax,watmath,rocksanne}!sunybcs!ansley
bitnet:	ansley@sunybcs.bitnet, csdansle@sunyabvc
usmail: Computer Science Dept., 226 Bell Hall, SUNYAB, Buffalo, NY  14260

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) (10/15/87)

I define a function that reverses the sense of rmail-reply's argument:

    (defun rmail-reply-no-cc (cc-to-everyone)
       "Reply to the current message.
Normally don't CC: to all other recipients of original message;
prefix argument means CC: to them."
       (interactive "P")
       (rmail-reply (not cc-to-everyone)))

and then bind the following keys:

    (define-key rmail-mode-map "r"  'rmail-reply-no-cc)
    (define-key rmail-mode-map "R"  'rmail-reply)

I prefer the lower-case "r" to be rmail-reply-no-cc since that's what I
usually want as my default.  I then use either "C-U r" or just "R" to get the
CC's when I want them.  [This should probably be the default in RMAIL instead
of the other way around.]

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,linus,seismo}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

ansley@sunybcs.uucp (William Ansley) (10/15/87)

In article <5875@sunybcs.UUCP> ansley@gort.UUCP (William Ansley) writes:
>Does anybody know of a way in standard GNU-emacs, under 4.3 BSD UNIX, using
>Rmail to reply to only the sender and not to everyone on the Cc: list.
>
>[...]
Well, it tuns out I didn't look hard enough before I appealed to the net.  I
got the answer below the day after my posting, and not only does it work, it's
documented!

It exists.  1r does the trick just fine...

--
cca >>>>>>>>>>  |
harvard >>>>>>  |

To make what Robert Krawitz says a little clearer: The r command with a
numeric argument igores the Cc: list.  E.g., use M-1 r (ESC-1 r) or C-u 1 r.
Works like a charm and the secret is revealed if you look at the help info on
r (C-h-k r).  Of course it would be nice if this feature were also described
in the Rmail mode help screen!

israel@BRILLIG.UMD.EDU (Bruce Israel) (10/16/87)

   From: Ashwin Ram <ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA>

   I define a function that reverses the sense of rmail-reply's argument:

   I prefer the lower-case "r" to be rmail-reply-no-cc since that's what I
   usually want as my default.  I then use either "C-U r" or just "R" to
   get the CC's when I want them.  [This should probably be the default in
   RMAIL instead of the other way around.]

No, I'd rather that the default remain as it is.  Most of the mail that I
send to lists tends to be of the discussion kind, that I want to go to
everyone.  Rather than changing the default, it'd be nice to have a
variable that allows user's to to reverse that behaviour.  For example:

(defvar rmail-default-reply-to-sender-only nil)

and then the top-level rmail-reply function would be set up something
like:

       (defun new-rmail-reply (invert-default)
	  (interactive "P")
	  (rmail-reply (if invert-default
			   (not rmail-default-reply-to-sender-only)
			   rmail-default-reply-to-sender-only)))

Actually, what I found was a useful default was to change bindings to that
replying to mail automatically includes the reply body.  That would be nice
to have on a variable as well.

Bruce