[comp.emacs] Hardware vendors distributing emacs

dsill@NSWC-OAS.ARPA.UUCP (10/01/87)

Someone asked me if I knew of any vendors that distribute a version of
emacs with their systems.  I couldn't think of any UNIXs that come
with it, but the Amiga V1.2 upgrade includes a nice version of
microGNU with mouse and menu support.  I remember some of the GNU
emacs documentation mentioning that its distribution by vendors was
condoned.  If so, I'd like to know of any that have done so.

dougs@sequent.UUCP (10/02/87)

We include Gnu in our standard software distribution.

Doug Schwartz
Sequent Computer
tektronix!ogcvax!sequent!dougs

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (10/03/87)

We recently got a VAXstation II GPX.  The installation tapes for Ultrix 2.0
included GNU Emacs in /usr/new, though it was only version 17.62

Also, I'm not certain of it, but I think Intergraph distributes GNU Emacs
with its CAD/CAE workstations.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

nate@cpocd2.UUCP (Nathan Hess) (10/04/87)

In article <8710020047.AA27535@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> dsill@NSWC-OAS.ARPA (Dave Sill) writes:
>I remember some of the GNU
>emacs documentation mentioning that its distribution by vendors was
>condoned.  If so, I'd like to know of any that have done so.

DEC is now distributing GNU Emacs with Ultrix 2.0.  The distribution I
saw had Version 17.6x, which is outdated by nearly a year, but it's
Emacs...

--woodstock
--
	   "How did you get your mind to tilt like your hat?"

...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|pur-ee|qantel|amd}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!nate
<domainish> :   nate@cpocd2.intel.com		ATT :    (602) 961-2037

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (10/04/87)

Last I checked, Integraph seemed to be going bananas hacking
window and mouse support into microemacs.

wunder@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (10/05/87)

Hewlett-Packard ships GNU Emacs on the contributed software tape for
the s300 workstations.  It is a fairly old version, since the tape was
made up last year, but it is GNU Emacs, and it works.  GNU is widely
used inside HP.  We are very happy with it.

Walter Underwood
HP Corporate Engineering

weinberg@necis.UUCP (Glenn Weinberg) (10/06/87)

NEC distributes GNU Emacs with its Advanced Workstation and Small Business
System (Astra/XL) products that run Unix System V Release 2.2.  We have
currently released Version 18.41, and are upgrading to 18.48 (which is
running internally).  We are also investigating support of GNU Emacs on
our new 386 products that run Xenix and 386/ix.
--
Glenn Weinberg (weinberg@necis.nec.com)
NEC Information Systems, 289 Great Road, Acton, MA 01720  (617) 263-3833

mike@nexus.UUCP (Mike Hickey) (10/06/87)

In article <8710020047.AA27535@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, dsill@NSWC-OAS.ARPA (Dave Sill) writes:
> Someone asked me if I knew of any vendors that distribute a version of
> emacs with their systems.  I couldn't think of any UNIXs that come
> with it, but the Amiga V1.2 upgrade includes a nice version of
> microGNU with mouse and menu support.  I remember some of the GNU
> emacs documentation mentioning that its distribution by vendors was
> condoned.  If so, I'd like to know of any that have done so.

NCR Corp. is sending GNU Emacs out as an optional, unsupported
package. The version is back in the high 17s but....

/mike

don@seila.UUCP (Don Kossman) (10/07/87)

(Dave Sill) writes:
>Someone asked me if I knew of any vendors that distribute a version of
>emacs. [...stuff deleted] If so, I'd like to know of any that have done so.

Ultrix 2.0 comes with an "unsupported software" tape; i believe it includes
a (unknown) version of emacs (i've never tried loading it).

--
Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
usenet: {ccicpg!imt3b2 | peregrine!imt3b2 | sun!tsunama!tsunami}!seila!don

mac@esl.UUCP (Mike McNamara) (10/07/87)

Encore Computer distributes GNU with it's machines, along with a little
lisp program that uses their terminal server, the Annex, to provide some
of the character manipulation, instead of loading the mainframe.  The Annex
will provide this function for any TCP/IP based machine; (No need to buy
an Encore, just get the Annex).  They are pretty cheap ($6000 for 16 terminal
support, 3 sessions per terminal, plus a parrallel printer port).

We used it as a great way to offload our ageing vaxes: Put every one on
the terminal servers, teach them GNU, and rip out the 8 DZ's from the
vax.

	-mac
--
 Michael Mc Namara
 ESL Incorporated

mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) (10/07/87)

Pyramid ships gnuemacs version 17.5? with its contributed software tapes. This
should change as the latest we are running here is 18.48. We also sell Unipress
emacs as a third party product.
--
      -m-------  Mike Whitman		Phone : (703)848-2050
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology     Fax   : (703)848-4995

rbj@ICST-CMR.ARPA (Root Boy Jim) (10/08/87)

Sequent delivers GNU Emacs with Dynix 2.1. Encore also does, even going
so far as to have put some of the display functions into the Annex, their
ethernet terminal server. Perhaps this has something to do with the
command `start-server'. Anyone care to comment?

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	Did you move a lot of KOREAN STEAK KNIVES this trip, Dingy?

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (10/13/87)

In article <2937@sequent.UUCP> dougs@sequent.UUCP (Doug Schwartz) writes:
>We include Gnu in our standard software distribution.

Indeed, they do.  Of course, it is 17.64 but who's counting?  I
understand that sequent even did the port.  Now if they would just
distribute ksh. :-).

xoxorich.
(oxtrap is a b8/6 (a sequent))

hgp@mapper.UUCP (Hans G|ran Puke) (10/16/87)

WE DO! UNISYS distributes GNU Emacs for its 5000/50 machine under the
banner "Public Domain". It's obviously not supported.