[comp.emacs] monkey.el

lord+@andrew.cmu.edu (Tom Lord) (10/04/87)

The following line should be added to the documentation string for
monkey-mode.  (Place this line just below the documentation for `!').

&	execute a background command on the marked files.

-tom

mike@turing.unm.edu.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (10/05/87)

Thanks Tom....but.....um.....you forgot to provide us with the most
useful functions 'monkey-file'  'monkey-file-other-window'....etc.

Kind of hard to use this way.

					Michael I. Bushnell
					a/k/a Bach II
					mike@turing.UNM.EDU
---
Four thousand different MAGNATES, MOGULS & NABOBS are romping in my
 gothic solarium!!
				-- Zippy the Pinhead

lord+@andrew.cmu.edu (Tom Lord) (10/08/87)

Could somebody confirm a successful receipt of monkey.el please?

Thanks.

Tom

jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning) (10/08/87)

Oh, yes.  I got it here in Cupertino.  Works, too - I've been using it
instead of dired mode these days, though I'm still trying to decide
which I like better, or if I care.

One question, while I have you on the line:  Is there more to the
"Does your minkey have a license" than it's own sweet cuteness?

Jack Repenning		      (uucp: hpda!jack, (408) 447-3380)

thomas%spline.uucp@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (10/09/87)

Speaking of monkey mode, I have a small bug fix.  The function
monkey-background uses the wrong default directory when it calls
background.  A fix is to wrap the call to
(monkey-copy-marked-file-names) in a save-excursion.

=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@cs.utah.edu)

beshers@sylvester.columbia.edu (Clifford Beshers) (10/14/87)

In article <3590007@hpindda.HP.COM> jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning) writes:
>One question, while I have you on the line:  Is there more to the
>"Does your minkey have a license" than it's own sweet cuteness?
>
>Jack Repenning		      (uucp: hpda!jack, (408) 447-3380)

Yes, it's a quote from one of the Peter Seller's Pink Panther films.
Clouseau spends his time giving a ticket to an organ grinder
with a "minkey" because he does not have a license for the beast.
The grinder is actually a decoy for the bank robbery happening fifteen
feet away, which Clouseau somehow manages to avoid seeing...

Cliff Beshers
Columbia University Computer Science Department
beshers@sylvester.columbia.edu

jthomas@nmsu.CSNET (10/16/87)

In this nice package, the documentation for DEL and the descriptions of the
functions monkey-mark-this-back and monkey-unmark-this-back indicate that
the current line is affected and then the movement happens.  However both
functions actually call monkey-action-and-move with MOVE-FIRST t so that
the previous line is really the one affected.  (Note that
monkey-toggle-this-back toggles and then moves.)  The documentation should
match the code, but I would vote for changing the code to match the
documentation.  Also all three functions probably should act the same way?
Votes?
Jim Thomas		jthomas@nmsu.CSNET or jthomas@nmsu.BITNET (usually)