[comp.emacs] Emacs on Data General

nicklaus@mrsvr.UUCP (Dennis Nicklaus) (10/27/87)

Would anyone out there happen to have or know of
A version of GNUemacs which runs on a Data General
(MV10000) running AOS/VS for an operating system?
If you would please let me know, my coworkers and I will be
eternally grateful.
I know this will probably reach a mostly unix world,
but some of us poor slobs are still forced to slave
away on Data General equipment.
(Any other PD emacs would also be almost as useful, for that matter.)

Thanks lots!
Dennis Nicklaus
GE Medical Systems
P.O. Box 414, Dept. W-826
Milwaukee, WI 53186
414-521-6386
...uwvax!uwmcsd1!mrsvr!nicklaus

john@uw-nsr.UUCP (John Sambrook) (10/30/87)

In article <231@mrsvr.UUCP> nicklaus@mrsvr.UUCP (Dennis Nicklaus) writes:
>Would anyone out there happen to have or know of
>A version of GNUemacs which runs on a Data General
>(MV10000) running AOS/VS for an operating system?
>If you would please let me know, my coworkers and I will be
>eternally grateful.
>I know this will probably reach a mostly unix world,
>but some of us poor slobs are still forced to slave
>away on Data General equipment.
>(Any other PD emacs would also be almost as useful, for that matter.)

Given that some talented people have tried to get GNU Emacs up on DG/UX
without success I'd doubt that a version for AOS/VS would be very likely.
At least, I haven't heard of any successes, and I would like to think that
I am fairly up to date on what's available for DG/UX.  Like you I am working
on a DG MV system although we are able to run DG/UX rather than AOS/VS.

I use DG's version of CCA Emacs, which is better than not using Emacs at all.
However this version of Emacs has some real problems; there are a lot of
things that aren't implemented fully.  Number one in my book is that you can't
write your own lisp code to customize it.  It also doesn't seem to grind
lisp code properly, but that could be a screw-up on my part.

--
John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!john