[comp.emacs] Monkey mode -- what is it?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/05/87)

	I've been watching with only half an ear this monkey-mode stuff, so
maybe I just never noticed when it was explained, but just what *is* monkey
mode?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

jat@hpsemc.UUCP (Joe Talmadge) (11/07/87)

Roy Smith writes:
>	I've been watching with only half an ear this monkey-mode stuff, so
>maybe I just never noticed when it was explained, but just what *is* monkey
>mode?

monkey mode is a replacement for dired.  Basically, monkey mode is the
same as dired, with a few key differences.

If you're in dired mode, and you move up or down a level, gnuemacs
pops a new buffer.  In monkey mode, however, you can expand and
collapse the contents of a sub-directory in-place (in-situ).  This
makes moving through the directory hierarchy easier; you retain your
enclosing context, and you can compare or correlate two sibling
directories.

Other differences (derived from the one above):
dired shows you a full line for each file name, which looks like the
output of an ll command.  monkey shows you only
the file name itself, and 'ls -F'-type flags.

Single character commands in monkey for "show me the ll output of this
file" and "show me the ll output of all the marked files".

Credit where credit is due section:
Jack Repenning taught me everything I know about monkey.  In
fact, most of this letter is plagiarized from a letter he sent me a
few weeks ago.

Joe Talmadge       hplabs!hpsemc!jat

jack@hpindda.HP.COM (Jack Repenning) (11/07/87)

Monkey mode, like dired mode, is a way of displaying the contents of
a directory, and permitting you to:

	- Move around to other directories
	- Manage the files in the directories (copy, delete, rename,
	  change protections, stuff like that)
	- Edit selected files in the directory.

The controlling difference is this: when you express an interest in a
subdirectory, dired pops a new buffer and window, while monkey expands
the new directory's contents in-place (and can collapse it again).

A derived difference is that dired's display always takes up a whole line
for each file (output of ls -l), while monkey's leaves lots of room
on the right end of the line, so subdirectories can be shown indented.

Jack Repenning	(jack@hpda.hp.com)