[comp.emacs] Desperatelly looking for microemacs 3.9

pintado@cui.UUCP (PINTADO Xavier) (11/01/87)

Is there anybody  on the network that could send me microemacs 3.9.
I think that this version did not appear in the European network.
Could someone send it to me or repost it in News.

Tkanks in advance.

my adress:

UUCP   ...mcvax!cernvax!cui!pintado
BITNET PINTADO@CGEUGE51

Xavier Pintado
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique
12, rue du Lac
1209 Geneve
Switzerland

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (11/03/87)

In article <72@cui.UUCP> pintado@cui.UUCP (PINTADO Xavier) writes:
>Is there anybody  on the network that could send me microemacs 3.9.
>I think that this version did not appear in the European network.
>Could someone send it to me or repost it in News.

	A common enough request, but I need to explain why and ask a
question. On June 20th I sent a full MicroEMACS 3.9 distribution kit to
the moderator of comp.unix.sources. He sat on it for three full months.
When someone asked him why, he responded indicating that editors were
simply not a high priority.

	I know that I have put a lot of work into this. Some people have
complained at the frequency which I have posted this in the past. But
the truth is that I have actually made a large amount of changes between
postings.

	So, my question is this. I have version 3.9e running and almost
ready for distribution. Do you want me to post this? Where? (remember,
mod.sources.unix won't post it).

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) (11/04/87)

YES!!! Please post it!  How about comp.sys.ibm.pc?  Or comp.sources.misc?
Does alt.sources get to Europe?

larry@jc3b21.UUCP (11/04/87)

in article <5745@j.cc.purdue.edu>, nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) says:

> 	So, my question is this. I have version 3.9e running and almost
> ready for distribution. Do you want me to post this? Where? (remember,
> mod.sources.unix won't post it).
>
> 			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153

Daniel,

	PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post it either to comp.sources.misc (or what-
ever we call it this week) or to this news group (comp.emacs).  As one who has
at least a minor stake in uemacs, I would like to get the newest available.
Since a number of our students utilize it and since it is one of the few
editors that run virtually the same on UNIX, MSDOS, AmigaDOS, etc., I believe
the cost of posting it is WELL worth it.  Certainly as much as postscript (for
those of us who can't utilize it!)

-larry
--
+--------------------------------------+-- St. Petersburg Junior College --+
|        Lawrence F. Strickland        |   P.O. Box 13489                  |

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (11/05/87)

In article <5745@j.cc.purdue.edu>, Daniel Lawrence
(nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP) writes:

> . . .

> 	So, my question is this. I have version 3.9e running and almost
> ready for distribution. Do you want me to post this? Where? (remember,
> mod.sources.unix won't post it).

You might try comp.sources.misc.  The moderator is Brandon Allbery.  In
a comp.sources.misc posting, he gives his address as ncoast.UUCP.

By the way, when you have a fully-functioning Amiga version, please send
a disk to Fred Fish at:

    Fred Fish
    1346 W. 10th Place
    Tempe, Arizona  85281
    USA

Fred gives his email address, phone number, and work location as:

    Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
    Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

When you send them to Fred, he will ensure they are redistributed in the
Amiga community post haste.

(Sorry to post this, but I have had little luck sending mail to Daniel
in the past.)

					Steve Rice

new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com
old: {decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

egisin@orchid.UUCP (11/06/87)

In article <5745@j.cc.purdue.edu>, nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
> 	A common enough request, but I need to explain why and ask a
> question. On June 20th I sent a full MicroEMACS 3.9 distribution kit to
> the moderator of comp.unix.sources. He sat on it for three full months.
> When someone asked him why, he responded indicating that editors were
> simply not a high priority.
>
> 	I know that I have put a lot of work into this. Some people have
> complained at the frequency which I have posted this in the past. But
> the truth is that I have actually made a large amount of changes between
> postings.
>
> 	So, my question is this. I have version 3.9e running and almost
> ready for distribution. Do you want me to post this? Where? (remember,
> mod.sources.unix won't post it).

[I'm including this in comp.sources.d too].

Can't you post patches two or three times a year?
Every one should be able to get 3.8b from the archives, and apply patches to it.
3.8i was 500K, how big are diffs between successive releases?

hart@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM (Rod Hart) (11/07/87)

I think any useful software is of higher priority than much of the idle
chatter that is propagated via the net. We have microemacs running on
everything from superminis' to pc and look forward to the enhancements.
There has to be a legitimate reason for passing all of this stuff
and if it isn't to collect the useful software and technical tidbits
I don't know what it is.

--
Signed by: Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)
	   Minicomputer Technical Support District

rupley@arizona.edu (John Rupley) (11/08/87)

In article <5745@j.cc.purdue.edu>, nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
> In article <72@cui.UUCP> pintado@cui.UUCP (PINTADO Xavier) writes:
> >Is there anybody  on the network that could send me microemacs 3.9.
> >I think that this version did not appear in the European network.
> >Could someone send it to me or repost it in News.
> >
> 	A common enough request, but I need to explain why and ask a
> question. On June 20th I sent a full MicroEMACS 3.9 distribution kit to
> the moderator of comp.unix.sources. He sat on it for three full months.
> When someone asked him why, he responded indicating that editors were
> simply not a high priority.
>
> 	I know that I have put a lot of work into this. Some people have
> 	So, my question is this. I have version 3.9e running and almost
> ready for distribution. Do you want me to post this? Where? (remember,
> mod.sources.unix won't post it).

I learned long ago, from one of your earlier postings, that I could
pull sources from your FIDO number.  Some machine administrators
might not like the long, slow transfer, however, so not everyone
can do this.  I see that CUG is distributing 3.9, but again, not
all mainframes can easily read floppies.

Why not try a four-pronged approach:
	(1) Privately convince one of the comp.sources archive sites
to carry the latest Microemacs for anonymous ftp.  If this is not
possible, then how about purdue.edu?
	(2) Same as (1), but for uucp.
	(3) Your FIDO, as it is.
	(4) C Users' Group, as it is, but convince them to keep
up-to-date (they are usually a major version behind).

Comp.sources posting, even if the administrative decision is changed
(and the moderator might not be responsible for the current policy),
does not solve the distribution problem for those for whom (1) and (2)
are not possible options. Also, one has the feeling that most of the
requests in comp... are from people who do not read the comp.sources
indices.  So every so often a list of Microemacs archive sites should
be posted, regardless of whether there is change in the comp.sources
policy regarding Microemacs.

Have you plans for adding any of the following options to Microemacs?
	column moves (vertical block moves)
	side-by-side windows
	search and replace across buffer/file boundaries
	an nroffable manual (a troff version had line count
		problems under nroff)

Thanks for useful and beautifully written code!

John Rupley
    uucp: ..{ihnp4 | hao!noao}!arizona!rupley
    telex: 9103508679(JARJAR)
    Dept. Biochemistry, Univ. Arizona, Tucson  AZ  85721
    voice: (602)321-2929 (Office)   or   (602)325-4533 (Home)

karl@mumble.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/09/87)

rupley@arizona.edu writes:
   Why not try a four-pronged approach:
	   (1) Privately convince one of the comp.sources archive sites
   to carry the latest Microemacs for anonymous ftp.  If this is not
   possible, then how about purdue.edu?
	   (2) Same as (1), but for uucp.

Ohio State Computer Science will be happy to make MicroEmacs 3.9
available for public UUCP access.

(Gee, that was easy, wasn't it? :-)
-=-
Karl

rbp@investor.UUCP (Bob Peirce) (11/17/87)

> In article <72@cui.UUCP> pintado@cui.UUCP (PINTADO Xavier) writes:
> >Is there anybody  on the network that could send me microemacs 3.9.
>
> 	So, my question is this. I have version 3.9e running and almost
> ready for distribution. Do you want me to post this? Where? (remember,
> mod.sources.unix won't post it).
>
> 			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
> 			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd

By all means, post it!  I love uEmacs3.9.  If comp.sources.unix won't
carry it, how about comp.sources.misc?  If Alberry won't accept it for
posting you could always resort to thw method by which arbitron is posted.
I'm sure this would raise many flames, but in a pinch there is always
comp.emacs!

--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				 412-471-5320
uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!investor!rbp

tom@tsdiag.UUCP (11/19/87)

microEmacs was posted in comp.sources.misc, I have compiled it and it works
fine *THANKS!!!!!*

I hate to ask for too much (-:) but the latest manual i have if for 3.8i
any chance we could get that posted (for completeness might be best in
comp.sources.misc with the *great* code)
73 es enjoy!

--
Thomas A. Moulton, W2VY          Life is too short to be mad about things.
Home: (201) 779-W2VY             Packet: w2vy@kd6th  Voice: 145.190 (r)