[comp.emacs] VN.EL bugs?

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (11/20/87)

I may be wrong, but I think there might be a bug in the
posting of vn.el.  When I run it and try to respond with the
'f' command, emacs (gnu v.18.40.4) tells me that there is
a wrong argument type (stringp nul) or some such thing.

Oh yeah, the routine it bombs on is the one that is in
rnewspost.el called news-reply.

Anyone else with this problem.  BTW: everything works
if I post from rnews, which uses provides vn.el with
the posting routines, so I don't know what's up.

Anyone willing to help???

-MikeP

mumble%karl@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (11/23/87)

mikep@ism780c.UUCP writes:
   I may be wrong, but I think there might be a bug in the
   posting of vn.el.  When I run it and try to respond with the
   'f' command, emacs (gnu v.18.40.4) tells me that there is
   a wrong argument type (stringp nul) or some such thing.
   Anyone else with this problem.  BTW: everything works
   if I post from rnews, which provides vn.el with
   the posting routines, so I don't know what's up.

I had a number of problems with vn.el, but it had the promise of being
sufficiently better than basic rnews that I've spent a few hours and
taken all of the bugs out of it I could find.  I also changed a whole
bunch of the standard keybindings in it, because putting things like
vn-back-page on C-h really made me ill.  I'm going to post a diff, or
possibly the whole thing, in a couple of days after I'm sure it's
shaken down.  This particular bug is fixed; it has to do with the fact
that rnewspost.el, which vn uses, needs to be able to reference the
Message-ID of the original article; if you have turned on full
headers, it works fine.  (And my fix basically insures that full
headers are on.)
-=-
Karl