[comp.emacs] Proclaim Glad Tidings!

goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (11/19/87)

I wonder  whether anyone officially connected  to the Free Software Foundation
would be willing to do advertisements in this forum?

Specifically, I am very pleased with GNU Emacs and offer no end  of praise for
the FSFs intellectual accomplishment and high nobility of character for making
such a beautiful work of art and also for making it available to the world.  I
occasionally see references to other packages that  FSF  has produced.  I know
they have a  "C" compiler and some  programs with names  like JOVE  and BISON,
whose function I  remain ignorant of.   I also  know  they  are working on  an
entire operating system  roughly  on a  par  with UNIX,  which they intend  to
distribute for free as well.

But I don't  know what is  available now, what  is soon to be available,  what
state that is in, etc.  What I am asking  for is whether someone can regularly
post a table of the following form:

PACKAGE NAME  |  One or Two   | State of Completion  |  Plans   | How to Get
              |  Sentence     | of the project now.  |  for     | the software
              |  Description  | Beta / Final         |  future  |
GNU Emacs     | Customizable, |  Version 18.47 Final | More X-  | Methods 1,3
              | Extensible,   |  Version 19.01 Alpha | support  |  4, below
              | etc. Text     |                      | soon     |
GDB "C"       | "C" Compiler  |  ???                 | ???      |
JOVE          |
-------------------------------------
BISON         |
----------------
etc ...

If such a person were to emerge, the world will  be forever in their debt, for
they will have helped alert  the computer world  of the existence of excellent
tools, freely available, waiting to help them with their work.   If the person
had even  more  time, they  could also  keep  a running account of  other free
software offerings that were available from other  places, though I think that
function is somewhat  overlapping  with other people's  functions, such as the
comp.sources.* groups.

I would even be willing to make the postings, if the FSF insiders were to make
some special effort to first teach me what they have and where they're headed,
then to keep me informed of what they have and where it is.  That is to say, I
would summarize what they tell me.

       Thanks,   Mark Goldfain      arpa:     goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
                                    US Mail:  Mark Goldfain
           (A lowly student at)-->            Department of Computer Science
                                              University of Illinois at U-C
                                              1304 West Springfield Avenue
                                              Urbana, Illinois  61801

moran@yale.UUCP (11/20/87)

Aaackkk! I don't think that jove is actually from FSF. Further, GDB
and Gnu CC are different things (I think GDB is the Gnu Debugger).
This is not meant to take anything away from FSF. I think their
purpose and products are uniformly excellent.

			  William L. Moran Jr.
moran@{yale.arpa, cs.yale.edu, yalecs.bitnet}  ...{ihnp4!hsi,decvax}!yale!moran

Tiger! Tiger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?  	- William Blake

goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (11/24/87)

I received a curious piece of mail today.  All I did was to post a note to the
comp.emacs notefile.  Apparently somebody's note handler/distributor choked
when it was working on my note and I got this mail :
From MAILER-DAEMON%WISDOM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu Mon Nov 23 14:01:53 1987
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON%WISDOM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Date:         18 Nov 87 22:32:00 GMT
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown