[comp.emacs] Bug/Enhancement for uEmacs 3.9

nick@pedsgo.UUCP (11/25/87)

Since uEmacs 3.7 a fiter-buffer command has been implemented.
This is ^X#, by the way.

In version 3.7 it would take a VIEW mode file and filter it anyway.
Then 3.8, and subsequently 3.9, disabled the command for VIEW mode.
I would like to suggest the command be modified to filter the file
reguardless of mode and only accept the filter results if the VIEW
mode flag is not set.

Thanks for your time.

Nicolai Kosche  ***************************************  ...!petsd!pedsgd!nick
*** Standard disclaimer applies...  All I say is some of what I mean and *****
***     not what other people or corporations mean, although they may... *****
 "Haven't had a dream in a long time,  |  So for once in my life,
  Seems the luck I've had,             |  Let me get what I want,
  Could turn a good man, bad,          |  Lord knows it would be the first time"
                                  - The Smiths

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (11/28/87)

In article <946@pedsgo.UUCP> nick@pedsgo.UUCP (Nicolai Kosche) writes:
>Since uEmacs 3.7 a fiter-buffer command has been implemented.
>This is ^X#, by the way.
>
>In version 3.7 it would take a VIEW mode file and filter it anyway.
>Then 3.8, and subsequently 3.9, disabled the command for VIEW mode.
>I would like to suggest the command be modified to filter the file
>reguardless of mode and only accept the filter results if the VIEW
>mode flag is not set.

	I don't understand your request. Why would filtering the buffer
be usefull if you are only going to throw away the results? If you
simply want filter-buffer to override VIEW mode, the following would
surfice:

40	store-macro
	delete-mode view
	filter-buffer
!endm
bind-to-key execute-macro-40 ^X#

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

nick@pedsgo.UUCP (11/30/87)

In article <5863@j.cc.purdue.edu> nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
>In article <946@pedsgo.UUCP> nick@pedsgo.UUCP (Nicolai Kosche) writes:
>>Since uEmacs 3.7 a fiter-buffer command has been implemented.
>>This is ^X#, by the way.
>	I don't understand your request. Why would filtering the buffer
>be usefull if you are only going to throw away the results? If you
>simply want filter-buffer to override VIEW mode, the following would
>surfice:

Well...

If you have a printing filter; and the filter takes for input the
printable data, and outputs the id of the print request.

Currently, emacs trashes the file and loads up the silly output from
the print spooler. This is not good.  THEREFORE...  it would be nice
to have a VIEW mode that would not load up the changes and yet filter
(print) the edited buffer...

OK?