[comp.emacs] A stupid problem with site-init.el

tgw@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (12/02/87)

I've been trying to get my little site-init.el to work which does a ^s ^q
remap, but somehow my site-init file doesn't seem to get read.  A
"M-x load-library site-init" works, but why doesn't it load
automatically?
Below is the load-path, long listing, and listing that seems appropriate.

---------------------
load-path's value is ("/usr/local/emacs/lisp")
----------------------

--------------------- ls -l /usr/local/emacs/lisp/site-init.el
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other       1023 Dec  1 18:05 /usr/local/emacs/lisp/site-init.el
---------------------

--------------------- /usr/local/emacs/lisp/site-init.el
;; Remap ^s and ^q keys because of flow control problems.
;; This will let one type ^\ to get ^s and
;; ^^ to get ^q. On the vt220 typing control-` sends the code for ^^.

  ;; First make a translate table that does the identity translation.
  (setq keyboard-translate-table (make-string 128 0))
  (let ((i 0))
    (while (< i 128)
      (aset keyboard-translate-table i i)
      (setq i (1+ i))))

  ;; Now alter translations of some characters.
  (aset keyboard-translate-table ?\^\\ ?\^s)
  (aset keyboard-translate-table ?\^^ ?\^q)

;; start text and mail modes in auto fill mode
(setq text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(setq mail-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

;; The following overrides settings in paths.el

;;(setq mh-progs "/usr/local/")

;; set default to delete a buffer's auto save file when it is saved
;; these are the #* files that otherwise clutter the directory, not to
;; be confused with the backup files that are created at save time

;;(setq delete-auto-save-file t)

(message "Site Init File Read")

-------------------------------

Thanks,
Tim Wade
tgw@mitre-bedford

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (12/02/87)

In article <8712012139.AA18913@mitre-bedford.ARPA> tgw@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>I've been trying to get my little site-init.el to work which does a ^s ^q
>remap, but somehow my site-init file doesn't seem to get read.  A
>"M-x load-library site-init" works, but why doesn't it load
>automatically?

Site-init.el is loaded into the dumped version of emacs. (Eg. in the
temacs->xemacs making process.) You have to (at least) go into the
~gnuemacs/src directory and do a make there. (Better yet do a top
level make or build-install).
---
Wolfgang Rupprecht 	ARPA: wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP addr 18.82.0.114)
			UUCP: {mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu,mirror!mit-mgm}!wolfgang