[comp.emacs] The Old Shell Game

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (12/02/87)

First, thanks to Daniel Lawrence and Brandon for getting micro-emacs3.9
out to its admiring public.

Thanks also to the various (numerous) people who have given helpful
answers to the various questions that I have posted.

Now, more questions...

(1) I have compiled uEmacs3.9 using Microsoft C 4.0, with the /AL
switch, for the large memory model.  This done, the linker choked on
DISPLAY.OBJ, complaining about an "invalid object module".  So, for the
hell of it, I recompiled *just* DISPLAY.C using the /AH setting for the
huge memory model.  Oddly, this worked (remember, I don't know what I'm
doing); the object files linked up and I got an .EXE file.  And it loads
and runs just fine.  Except... if I attempt to use the "emacs.rc" file,
and its associated .cmd files, I get a "stack overflow 2000" message,
and no loading.  Does this mean that I should recompile everything with
the huge memory model?

(2) When I run uEmacs3.9 (w/o the .rc file, of course) under MS-DOS (I
am using a Zenith zfl-181, with 640K RAM), the shell commands (^X! and
^X@) don't work.  The one that I am most interested in at this point is
^X!.  When I try it, I simply get the [end] signal at the bottom of the
screen.  I note that the shell commands work fine under BSD 4.3.  Does
anyone else have this problem, and is it likely to be related to
question (1)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Todd Moody * {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody * SJU Phil. Dept.
    "The wind is not moving.  The flag is not moving.  Mind is moving."

sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Mr. Sam Moore) (12/02/87)

In article <1017@sjuvax.UUCP> tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) writes:

>Now, more questions...
>
>(1) I have compiled uEmacs3.9 using Microsoft C 4.0, with the /AL
>switch, for the large memory model.  This done, the linker choked on
>DISPLAY.OBJ, complaining about an "invalid object module".  So, for the
>hell of it, I recompiled *just* DISPLAY.C using the /AH setting for the
>huge memory model.  Oddly, this worked (remember, I don't know what I'm
>doing); the object files linked up and I got an .EXE file.  And it loads
>and runs just fine.  Except... if I attempt to use the "emacs.rc" file,
>and its associated .cmd files, I get a "stack overflow 2000" message,
>and no loading.  Does this mean that I should recompile everything with
>the huge memory model?

Todd, I compiled MSC 4.0 large model without problems. You may try
expanding the stack with exemod.

>(2) When I run uEmacs3.9 (w/o the .rc file, of course) under MS-DOS (I
>am using a Zenith zfl-181, with 640K RAM), the shell commands (^X! and
>^X@) don't work.  The one that I am most interested in at this point is
>^X!.  When I try it, I simply get the [end] signal at the bottom of the
>screen.  I note that the shell commands work fine under BSD 4.3.  Does
>anyone else have this problem, and is it likely to be related to
>question (1)?

I have the same problem under MSDOS, so I don't think the two are related.

I also have a question. Does ME 3.9e expand tabs to a user definable size?
And if so, can it be set in the startup script file?

Sam Moore
NCSU Computing Center - Raleigh, NC
sam@ncsuvx (internet)
sam@ncsuvax (bitnet)
samm@ncsuvm (bitnet)

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (12/03/87)

In article <1017@sjuvax.UUCP> tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) writes:
>(1) I have compiled uEmacs3.9 using Microsoft C 4.0, with the /AL
>switch, for the large memory model.
>                                       .........the shell commands (^X! and
>^X@) don't work.
Todd,
	This is my fault.  I vastly re-wrote all the MSDOS spawning code
to add the execute-program command which executes a program without the
overhead of another copy of the command processor (I was using it in
combination with some word processing software that ended up with 5
nested programs and 4 extra copies of command.com). I do not own the MSC
compiler so I could not verify it under that. Patches to fix this have
been coming in and I hope to post such in the not too distant future.

However, if any MicroEMACS users out there want to make sure I can
support MSC properly and want to purchase me one... I won't turn it
down.

BTW:	MicroEMACS 3.9e and its docs are now available on
	j.cc.purdue.edu for anomynous ftp in the /usr/ftp/pub
	directory. [yea!   thanks rsk]

Progress report:

	I am coding MicroSCRIBE now. Looks like late spring early summer
for the BETA release.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533