[comp.emacs] find-file with wildcarding? | emacs lisp programmers' manual

edward@csvaxa.UUCP (Edward Wilkinson) (12/04/87)

Has anyone  written  such a  function   which allows the   use of  csh
wildcards? This would be  useful. On a similar note,  how is the emacs
lisp programmers' manual coming on? When I can get my hands on  one, I
can write things like this myself!--
  Ed Wilkinson   ...!uunet!vuwcomp!edward  or  edward@comp.vuw.ac.nz

grady@stinson.uucp (Steven Grady) (12/07/87)

In article <151@csvaxa.UUCP> edward@csvaxa.UUCP (Edward Wilkinson) writes:
>Has anyone  written  such a  function   which allows the   use of  csh
>wildcards?

Yeah, I wrote something like that a couple months ago - find-multiple-files.
My favorite use: (find-multiple-files "[ch]$").  Problem:  doesn't allow
files not in the current directory.

(defun find-multiple-files (file-regexp)
  "Find all files matching FILE-REGEXP.
Switches to first matching buffer in FILE-REGEXP after matching to
all files in the current directory."
  (interactive "sWhat files? ")
  (let ((files (directory-files "." nil file-regexp)))
    (if (null files) (error "No files"))
    (message "Retrieving %s" file-regexp)
    (let ((f files))
      (while f