[comp.emacs] Compiling MicroEmacs on a Vax with 4.3BSD?????

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (12/12/87)

OK . . . say it can't be done!!  Here I sat wondering if 3.9e could be compiled
an my system.  GNU is big(!!) so I thought a little one would help.

As I read the net, this one got it running on this machine, that one on that,
and there was even a makefile.unx (sounded like unix to me, pardner).

So merrily along I compile and everything is kopasetic (sp?) until cc tries to
link ALL of the .o files: can you say BBOOOOOOMMM!!

Here's the problems:
Undefined:
_aputc
_sysint
_inportb
_movmem
_bdos
_outportb
_segread

OK, am I barking up the wrong tree?  Did I forget a switch?  Am I hopeless?

Phil Ritzenthaler			|USnail: University Computer Services
Computer Graphics Research Consultant   |        241 Math-Science Bldg.
UUCP :.!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!ritzenth |        Bowling Green State University
CSNET: ritzenth@bgsu.edu                |        Bowling Green, OH   43403-0125
ARPA : ritzenth%bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net   | Phone: (419) 372-2102

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (12/14/87)

In article <1433@bgsuvax.UUCP> ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) writes:
>OK . . . say it can't be done!!  Here I sat wondering if 3.9e could be compiled
>an my system.  GNU is big(!!) so I thought a little one would help.

>link ALL of the .o files: can you say BBOOOOOOMMM!!
>OK, am I barking up the wrong tree?  Did I forget a switch?  Am I hopeless?

	Try reading the docs. The file ESTRUCT.H contains all the option
switches. You aretrying to compile an MSDOS version with the AZTEC
compiler on UNIX.Not very usefull.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (12/15/87)

In article <5975@j.cc.purdue.edu> nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
>In article <1433@bgsuvax.UUCP> ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) writes:
>>link ALL of the .o files: can you say BBOOOOOOMMM!!
>>OK, am I barking up the wrong tree?  Did I forget a switch?  Am I hopeless?

(You arn't the only one who has posted such problems, who knows how
many just waited for the answer to appear.)

>	Try reading the docs. The file ESTRUCT.H contains all the option
>switches. You aretrying to compile an MSDOS version with the AZTEC
>compiler on UNIX.Not very usefull.

MicroGnuEmacs (mg) avoids this problem by putting all system dependent
stuff in system-specific subdirectories.  You just copy or link the
apropriate makefile and run it.  Mg 1b is available for ftp from
jade.berkeley.edu in pub/mg/mg1b.tar.Z (compressed tar).  Mg 2a is
currently in beta testing, it should be posted to comp.sources.misc
sometime in the first half of next year.

Daniel Laurence's microemacs and mg have different goals and are
improving in diffent directions.  Daniel is adding lots of new bells,
whistles, and gongs without making sure they work any machines he
doen't happen to have access to.  Mg is a group effort, and we go
through extensive beta testing to make sure it works on a wide variety
of machines and terminals before we release it.  (Msdos was not
included because none of the peolpe working on mg wanted it, we
recieved mods for 1a after 1b was released, and for 1b when 2a was
starting beta testing.  It looks like Msdos support will be in 2a.)
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%fns1@ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!fns1!info-prime-request

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (12/15/87)

In article <5975@j.cc.purdue.edu>, nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
> 	Try reading the docs. The file ESTRUCT.H contains all the option
> switches.

Gee,

Here I sit with egg on my face!  I am always harpin' on other people to RTFM
and then here I don't even do it myself!!

Major thanks to both Dan and Karl Kleinpaste for pointing estruct.h out to me!
Well, at least the egg wasn't rotten  . . . (or was it???).