[comp.emacs] Gnu, Compiling

aaa@mtuni.ATT.COM (Aaron Akman) (01/09/88)

I have successfully ported Gnu to a 386 box running UNIX.  Mostly, it
works great and runs fast.  One problem:  when I compile (M-x compile)
small simple files (this doesn't happen every time) I get a bogus
error message from make.  For example, compiling uudecode.c yields:

cd /usr/aaron
make -k uudecode
	cc -O uudecode.c -o uudecode
"uudecode.c", line 181: syntax error
*** Error code 1

The same attempt outside of Gnu works without error.  The line number
always corresponds to the last line in the file.  Any ideas?
--

Aaron, mtuni!aaa, 201-957-2751

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (01/12/88)

In article <304@mtuni.ATT.COM> aaa@mtuni.ATT.COM (Aaron Akman) writes:
>I have successfully ported Gnu to a 386 box running UNIX.  Mostly, it
>works great and runs fast.  One problem:  when I compile (M-x compile)
>small simple files (this doesn't happen every time) I get a bogus
>error message from make.  For example, compiling uudecode.c yields:
>
>cd /usr/aaron
>make -k uudecode
>	cc -O uudecode.c -o uudecode
>"uudecode.c", line 181: syntax error
>*** Error code 1
>
>The same attempt outside of Gnu works without error.  The line number
>always corresponds to the last line in the file.  Any ideas?

Does your file end in a newline?

Try:

(setq require-final-newline 1)

rich.

grunwald@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (01/12/88)

re: bogus errors in compiles when using Gnumacs for editing

make certain that the last line has a return at the end. you can do this
by

(set-default 'require-final-newline t)