[comp.emacs] emacs scrolling on Sun Worksations

jfjr@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Freedman) (01/07/88)

   I am the de facto maintainer of gnu emacs on a Sun workstations
(ie if I want it, I have to make it happen). I am NOT by any stretch
ot the imagination a unix weenie(I am getting better ;}).

 Here is the problem. When it becomes time to scroll the scrolling
takes about half an hour - the mode line slowly slides up the
screen (whether or not I am in Suntools) and the window slowly
refills - if I still smoked I could have a butt while I waited.

  Is there some incantation I could use (the problem does
not exist if I login on a vt100(220 etc) only on the console)
to fix this. Bear in mind with your replies that I am but a
grasshopper. Esoteric Unixisms are only slightly more intelligible
to me than runes.

Jerry Freedman, Jr      "Thank you, folks,
jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa   for those kind applause"
(617)271-4563

wohler@spam.istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) (01/08/88)

Freedman writes:
> Here is the problem. When it becomes time to scroll the scrolling
>takes about half an hour.

  this is asked periodically.  the "magic incantation" is to add this
  to your .defaults file (only helps under suntools):

	/Tty/Retained	"Yes"

  also add the following your entry for "sun" in /etc/termcap:

	:AL=\E[%dL:DL=\E[%dM:IC=\E[%d@:DC=\E[%dP:

							--bw

jimp@cognos.uucp (Jim Patterson) (01/15/88)

In article <8801061810.AA23907@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jfjr@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (Freedman) writes:
> Here is the problem. When it becomes time to scroll the scrolling
>takes about half an hour -

Take a look at the file etc/SUN-SUPPORT in the gnu emacs distribution.
A few things here may be of help. In particular, it has a patch for
the sun termcap entry to enable multi-line inserts and deletes. If you
can't find it, just add this line to your termcap entry for sun:

        :AL=\E[%dL:DL=\E[%dM:IC=\E[%d@:DC=\E[%dP:\

There's a lot of other good stuff described here as well, such as
enabling mouse support, using server mode, etc.
--
Jim Patterson                              Cognos Incorporated
UUCP:decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!jimp P.O. BOX 9707