[comp.emacs] GNU/uEmacs Line Continuation

flash@lehi3b15.CSEE.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (01/08/88)

Has anyone written a function to have GNU do line continuation like
uEmacs.  I  hate to have to scroll the whole screen to the right just
to see the one line that I am usually interested in.

jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (01/12/88)

Sounds like you have truncate-lines set true.  Try setting it nil (also
truncate-partial-width-windows (or don't split horizontally (^X 5))).

Documentation:

  truncate-lines's value is nil

  Documentation:
  *Non-nil means do not display continuation lines;
  give each line of text one screen line.
  Automatically becomes local when set in any fashion.

  Note that this is overridden by the variable
  truncate-partial-width-windows if that variable is non-nil
  and this buffer is not full-screen width.

----
  truncate-partial-width-windows's value is t

  Documentation:
  *Non-nil means truncate lines in all windows less than full screen wide.

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp

jcw@wdl1.UUCP (John C Williams) (01/12/88)

I infer from your mentioning scrolling to the right/left that your version of
GNU lets long lines run off the screen.

How odd.  With our GNU, a l-o-n-g line results in a backslash at the right
margin of the screen followed by the rest of the line on the "next line"
visually.  Of course, I can change this behavior, for example, by
SETTING UP MY TERMINAL/KEYBOARD DIFFERENTLY.

If I am going to do a lot of text entry, I turn the margin bell on.
If I am entering text without the bell on, I occasionally get carried away
and run past the end--producing the backslash and continuation of the line
on the "next line".  So, I've written a gnu function that lets me clean this
up with one command.

Probably I should write a function that determines that the cursor is
past, say the 72nd character, and replaces the next space I type with a
carriage return or follows the next hyphen with a carriage return.
I ASSUME this will be easy.

So, enlighten those of us who were born last week, how does uEmacs handle
line continuation?

John C. Williams
Ford Aerospace Corporation

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (01/12/88)

In gnuemacs, you can try the following simple function/binding:

  (defun toggle-line-wrap()
    "Toggle Linewrap on a per-buffer basis."
    (interactive)
    (setq truncate-lines (not truncate-lines))
    (redraw-display))
  (define-key ctl-x-map "w" 'toggle-line-wrap) ;overrides widen

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (01/13/88)

In article <3630005@wdl1.UUCP> jcw@wdl1.UUCP (John C Williams) writes:
>So, enlighten those of us who were born last week, how does uEmacs handle
>line continuation?

	Not well enough yet. Any overlength line results in a '$' in the
rightmost column. Moving the cursor into the line, when you move near
the right margin, it scrolls that single line to the left allowing you
to edit. I am preparing to allow you to select, via an environment
variable, the ability of scrolling the entire current window when this
occurs.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

allbery@axcess.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (01/15/88)

In article <3630005@wdl1.UUCP>, jcw@wdl1.UUCP (John C Williams) writes:
+---------------
| I infer from your mentioning scrolling to the right/left that your version of
| GNU lets long lines run off the screen.
|
| How odd.  With our GNU, a l-o-n-g line results in a backslash at the right
| margin of the screen followed by the rest of the line on the "next line"
| visually.  Of course, I can change this behavior, for example, by
| SETTING UP MY TERMINAL/KEYBOARD DIFFERENTLY.
+---------------

Let's not be so nasty about it.  I think he was talking about uEmacs anyway.

LONG LINE HANDLING IN VARIOUS EMACSES:

GNU -- signals end of physical line with backslash, displays rest of line on
	next physical line (default) OR displays only first physical line,
	signals end of physical line with $, REST OF LINE DOES NOT SCROLL.
	(How do I edit the hidden part of the line?)

uEmacs -- signals end of physcal line with $, attempting to move onto the $
	will cause the entire LINE to scroll so that the character obscured
	by the $ is in the middle of the physical line.

Jove -- like uEmacs but the signal character is ! instead.

I seem to remember that "elle" uses backslash/wrap like GNU does.

Anyway, I tend to prefer the Jove method.  Can anyone tell me how to accomplish
this in GNU Emacs, or failing that how to edit the "hidden" part of a line if
truncate-lines is t?
--
 ___  ________________,	Brandon S. Allbery	       cbosgd \
'   \/  __   __,  __,	aXcess Company		       mandrill|

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William E. Sommerfeld) (01/18/88)

In article <136@axcess.UUCP> allbery@axcess.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Anyway, I tend to prefer the Jove method [for editing the `long'
>part of a line].  Can anyone tell me how to accomplish
>this in GNU Emacs

As far as I know, there's no support for this.

>or failing that how to edit the "hidden" part of a line if
>truncate-lines is t?

C-x < shifts the entire SCREEN over by (prefix-argument) characters
(actually, the characters move left and the screen stays in the same
place... it would be quite a trick if Emacs could get the _screen_ to move
and the characters to stay put..); this defaults to the screen width.
If you want to shift by, say, 10 characters, you type C-u 1 0 C-x <.
C-x > shifts the other way; as usual, negative prefix arguments mean
``go the other way''.

As always, this is even documented in the manual, which is online in
`Info' form...  (Look under "displaying" in the top level menu).

					- Bill

rbp@investor.UUCP (Bob Peirce) (01/20/88)

> In article <3630005@wdl1.UUCP> jcw@wdl1.UUCP (John C Williams) writes:
> >So, enlighten those of us who were born last week, how does uEmacs handle
> >line continuation?
>
> 	Not well enough yet. Any overlength line results in a '$' in the
> rightmost column. Moving the cursor into the line, when you move near
> the right margin, it scrolls that single line to the left allowing you
> to edit. I am preparing to allow you to select, via an environment
> variable, the ability of scrolling the entire current window when this
> occurs.

Fantastic!  I may be unique, but I often edit files with very long lines.
Spread sheet output is an example.  I can put my terminal in 132 column
mode, but this doesn't help for longer lines.  The single line scroll has
been a souirce of constant frustration.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				 412-471-5320
uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!investor!rbp