[comp.emacs] need help autoloading edt.el in gnu emacs

tarvydas@utcsri.UUCP (Paul Tarvydas) (01/18/88)

I've brought up Gnu Emacs 18.47 on my ICM running 4.2 BSD.
I would like to have it come up with edt-emulation enabled, so
I put '(load "edt.el")' into the site-load.el and re-dumped emacs.
The edt emulation works, except for some reason, the GOLD key (pf1)
remains undefined.  I tried to load edt.el using my .emacs file,
with the same result.  The only way I get the GOLD key to work
properly is by interactively loading edt.el.  My guess is that this
problem has something to do with the "define-keypad-key" function
defined in edt.el (eg. a scoping problem), but with my limited
knowledge of Gnu Emacs, I haven't found the problem yet.

Anybody have any clues for me?
thanx
Paul Tarvydas
tarvydas@turing.toronto.edu

dko@calmasd.GE.COM (Dan O'Neill) (01/21/88)

In article <5917@utcsri.UUCP> tarvydas@utcsri.UUCP (Paul Tarvydas) writes:

>I've brought up Gnu Emacs 18.47 on my ICM running 4.2 BSD.
>I would like to have it come up with edt-emulation enabled, so
>I put '(load "edt.el")' into the site-load.el and re-dumped emacs.
[...text deleted...]
>Anybody have any clues for me?
>thanx
>Paul Tarvydas
>tarvydas@turing.toronto.edu

You are not doing anything basically wrong, its just that the GNU
terminal.el files are writting all over your nice edt keypad
definitions.  Take a look at the file "startup.el" and if you sift
through the code a bit, you will be able to determine the order in
which emacs loads files upon startup.  First of all it interprets
all of the command line arguments (these are described in
startup.el) and then it loads as follows:

	~/.emacs		(sys$login:.emacs under VMS)
	../lisp/term/vt100.el	(e.g., if TERM is set to vt100

The file vt100.el, for example, sets up a couple of keymaps that
make use of the keypad.  This is a bit misleading, the actual
binding to functions takes place in keypad.el.  As you can see,
the vt100 definitions take place after your definitions in
site-init.el and .emacs, thus you don't get what you want.

Hello RMS, this is a question for you:
  Love your editor, but... Wouldn't it be better if the users
  .emacs file was the last lisp file to be loaded?

Anyway Paul, you want a solution.  Place the following in your
.emacs file or site-init.el file:

(defun setup-my-emacs ()
   (edt-emulation-on))

(setq term-setup-hook 'setup-my-emacs)

You should not have to load edt.el as it is pre-loaded when the
executable image is made.  To check this out, try to execute the
command M-X edt-emualation-on.  If you can do this without loading
edt.el, then you don't need to.  The command "edt-emulation-on"
inside the above function is all you need to do.

The variable "term-setup-hook" is interpreted just before editing
begins.  What I've done is bound the name "setup-my-emacs" to this
hook so that it will execute that function.  Any other changes
that you want to take place should be placed inside the function
"setup-my-emacs".

--
Dan O'Neill			dko@calmasd.GE.COM
GE Calma R&D			...!sdcsvax!calmasd!dko