[comp.emacs] GNU emacs on Vectra

uday@mips.UUCP (Uday Kurkure) (01/19/88)

       Where can I get a copy of GNU emacs that would run PC-AT
       compatible HP's Vectra running MS-DOS?

       Thanks,

                                           ..uday

 ----
     Please cc your responses to me directly. I don't/can't read news
     regularly.
            uday@mips.com         {prls, decwrl}!mips!uday

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/20/88)

In article <1353@mips.UUCP> uday@mips.UUCP (Uday Kurkure) writes:

|        Where can I get a copy of GNU emacs that would run PC-AT
|        compatible HP's Vectra running MS-DOS?
	As far as I can see, you can't. You need more address space than
DOS allows. You could do a hack with expanded memory, or try to castrate
the editor down to fit, or even run OS/2. You could also run MicroGNU,
which would give you most of what you want.

If somebody has done any of these things, please post

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (01/20/88)

In article <9136@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>	As far as I can see, you can't. You need more address space than
>DOS allows. You could do a hack with expanded memory, or try to castrate
>the editor down to fit, or even run OS/2. You could also run MicroGNU,
>which would give you most of what you want.

In addition to the address space limitation, the segment-based
addressing is going to cause problems.  You could probably simulate a
linear address space with adjacent 64K segments (in protected mode).
Anybody know if any of the currently available protected mode systems
(or OS/2) supports (or will support) this?

>If somebody has done any of these things, please post

I've run MicroGNU.  Works great (for what it is supposed to do).  I'm
working on the MS-DOS port of the new version now.

Jeff Siegal

lawitzke@eecae.UUCP (John Lawitzke) (01/22/88)

in article <9136@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP says:
> |        Where can I get a copy of GNU emacs that would run PC-AT
> |        compatible HP's Vectra running MS-DOS?
> 	As far as I can see, you can't.
I've run MicroEmacs with no porblems on a Vectra.

The binary for GNu Emacs on my VAX 8600 is ~1.3MB. The only way I could
see you running GNU on a Vectra is if you hack down the 12MB of sources
and remove alot of the modes and spell checking, etc. I think
Micro Emacs is better.

Micro Emacs v3.9 is available via anonymous ftp from
eecae.ee.msu.edu (35.8.8.151)

--
j                                UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke
"And it's just a box of rain..." ARPA: lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)