[comp.emacs] GnuEmacs 18.41 on Sun - Server question

jdw@atexrd.UUCP (John Williams) (01/19/88)

We have GnuEmacs version 18.41 running on a Sun workstation as a server. This
works pretty well except for 1 thing. If I su to root I can't get access to the
emacs server.  I'm not familiar with sockets and such at all, so I don't know if
what I think is happening, really is.  It looks like emacs is trying to connect
to the server's socket (created in my home directory), but is getting a
connection refused error.

Any suggestions as to how to let root (or anyone else) access the server on a
workstation?

Thanks

--
John Williams
Editorial Pagination - Atex, Inc., A Kodak Company - Bedford Ma

mb@ttidca.TTI.COM (Michael Bloom) (01/24/88)

In article <309@surf.atexrd.UUCP> jdw@atexrd.UUCP (John Williams) writes:

>Any suggestions as to how to let root (or anyone else) access the server on a
>workstation?
>
>Thanks

Sure. Using adb on /vmunix, change the value of the variable "nobody"
from -2 to 0.  This may be unsafe if your site is subject to "root
wars" however.  We changed it in the code, but run an adb script to do
this from rc anyway, just in case someone boots a system built with
an earlier nfs_server.c delta. Something to watch out for here is that
between revisions, "nobody" changed from int to uid_t (short).

A more serious problem is that if you run emacs on more than one
machine, you will have problems with emacs on one machine screwing up
the socket created by emacs on another machine.

I solved this at my site by renaming .emacs_server to
.emacs_server.<HOSTNAME> in the code.

Even better would be to rewrite the server code to use internet domain
sockets for the communication, so that emacsclient on one machine
could interact with a server on another.