[comp.emacs] Documentation

fred@seradg.Dayton.NCR.COM (Frederick G. Stock) (10/13/87)

I am attempting to learn the GNU emacs editor in an attempt to
make some extensions to it.  However, the UNIX system I am on
does not have a TeX formatter so I can't print any of the
documentation. (It doesn't seem like the delivered documentation
covers extending the editor even if I could print it.)  SO, I am
looking for recommendations on how to get information concerning
making enhancements to the editor.  Books, articles, etc.,
anything to get me going.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Please respond by email, and thanks a bundle in advance.

--
Fred Stock		    CSNET: f.stock@dayton.NCR.COM
SE-Retail, SER-2	    Disclaimer: "All this science I don't

jep@tlxprs.UUCP (Jo Poplawski) (01/22/88)

I know this may sound stupid, but I have recently received several different
copies of Public Domain Emacs programs, and I was wondering if anybody had
any documentaion to it. I am fairly good with VI, but I would like to try
out Emacs. Any help would be appreciated.

Jo Poplawski
jep@tlxprs.UUCP

rustcat@russell.STANFORD.EDU (Vallury Prabhakar) (01/28/88)

Hello,

I was looking around to see how `describe-function' got the appropriate
documentation string for the specified function, and ran across a function
called (guess!) `documentation'.  However, I couldn't locate this function
in any of the .el files.  Am I missing something here?  I'd appreciate any
help.

Regards,

						-- Vallury Prabhakar

PS:  Aha!  Almost forgot.  V 18.49.2 on a 4.2BSD system
--
E-mail: rustcat@russell.stanford.edu

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (01/28/88)

In article <2014@russell.STANFORD.EDU>, rustcat@russell (Vallury Prabhakar) writes:
> I was looking around to see how `describe-function' got the appropriate
> documentation string for the specified function, and ran across a function
> called (guess!) `documentation'.  However, I couldn't locate this function
> in any of the .el files.  Am I missing something here?  I'd appreciate any
> help.

Many Emacs commands are actually written in C (although you can redefine
them in Lisp if you wanted to.  It's all pretty transparent.)  In this case,
documentation, documentation-style, and other related doc functions are all
defined in src/doc.c .

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (01/28/88)

Should be, but this failed:
To: Vallury Prabhakar <russell!rustcat@LABREA.STANFORD.EDU>

This function, like many many others, is a lisp-callable fuction
written in C.  Look for it in emacs/src/doc.c.  In general, to find
function bar in the C sources, execute "grep Fbar *.c" in the
emacs/src directory.

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp