[comp.emacs] EMACS .rc and .cmd files

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/23/88)

Frankly, I'm mystified by the syntax in the .emacsrc and *.cmd files.
I would like to bind the arrow keys on my 3B1 to the emacs cursor
motion keys, but I don't have the foggiest.  I'd also like to be able to
set certain modes as the default.

Is there a place I can look or would some kind soul please give me a
brief explanation?  Thanks.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (01/27/88)

In article <146@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

>Frankly, I'm mystified by the syntax in the .emacsrc and *.cmd files.
>I would like to bind the arrow keys on my 3B1 to the emacs cursor
>motion keys, but I don't have the foggiest.  I'd also like to be able to
>set certain modes as the default.
>
>Is there a place I can look or would some kind soul please give me a
>brief explanation?  Thanks.
>
>--
>Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh

Peter,

	Do you have the manual that goes with MicroEMACS? It has several
chapters that cover writing macros.

	The .emacsrc and the *.cmd files use the same language, but the
rc file is executed automatically at startup time. Changing default
modes is fairly simple by adding set-global-mode commands (such as the
one in the .rc file that sets the backround color to BLUE on color
terminals). As to binding of function keys, if they are VT100
compatable, recompiling with the VT100 symbol in estruct.h set will
allow them to be bound, but we are working on restructuring the input
layers to make this more generic.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	1:201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (01/29/88)

In article <6269@j.cc.purdue.edu> nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Daniel Lawrence) writes:

>	Do you have the manual that goes with MicroEMACS? It has several
>chapters that cover writing macros.

I have a doc file that talks about writing macros but is short on
examples.  As I;m not familiar with the individual commands for the .cmd
files, I'm naturally having trouble with macros, too.