[comp.emacs] Reading usenet inside Emacs

wilber@alice.UUCP (01/24/88)

I asked earlier about a readnews mode for Emacs.  Well, a couple of kind souls
have pointed me to the "rnews" commmand -- looks like I had it all along.  You
can't blame me though -- it's not in the hard copy manual or the on-line info
files, although you can find out about it with ^H F rnews.  (To be corrected in
the next release, one hopes.)

Thanks to all who responded.

Bob Wilber    {ihnp4|mtune}!gauss!wilber
              wilber@research.att.com

jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (01/25/88)

>> You can't blame me though -- it's not in the hard copy manual or
>> the on-line info files, although you can find out about it with
>> ^H F rnews.

Ah, but ^H A news show you:

 news-post-news
   Function: Edit a new USENET news article to be posted.
 postnews
   Function: Edit a new USENET news article to be posted.
 rnews
   Function: Read USENET news for groups for which you are a member and add or
 sendnews
   Function: Edit a new USENET news article to be posted.
 view-emacs-news		      C-h n, C-h C-n
   Function: Display info on recent changes to Emacs.

In case ^H A is mysterious, ^H^H^H shows you:

 You have typed C-h, the help character.  Type a Help option:

 A  command-apropos.   Give a substring, and see a list of commands
	       (functions interactively callable) that contain
	       that substring.  See also the  apropos  command.

Lesson: try to give the online help a little chance before giving up
and worrying the net about something.

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp

jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (01/26/88)

>> What's this ^H stuff for Emacs?  Are you talking about the
>> metacharacter, M- ???  Or what?  Or is this microGNU stuff???

It is GNU emacs that is being describes.  Here's the scoop:

 set-selective-display	      C-x $
   Function: Set selective-display to ARG; clear it if no arg.

 set-selective-display:
 Set selective-display to ARG; clear it if no arg.
 When selective-display is a number > 0,
 lines whose indentation is >= selective-display are not displayed.
 selective-display's value is separate for each buffer.

 selective-display's value is nil

 Documentation:
 t enables selective display:
  after a ^M, all the rest of the line is invisible.
  ^M's in the file are written into files as newlines.
 Integer n as value means display only lines
  that start with less than n columns of space.
 Automatically becomes local when set in any fashion.

^M is a literal carriage-return character. otherwise known as
control-M.  Line breaks are signalled by a new-line character, which
happens to be ^J, or linefeed.  Try setting selective-display in a
buffer and inserting (with ^Q^M) control-M characters and see what
happens.

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp

conor@Helens.STANFORD.EDU (conor) (01/28/88)

In message <UMERIN.RRN23@photon.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET>, umerin@photon.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (Masanobu UMEDA) says:
>It is now temporary called GNU RRN, but I haven't
>decided its name yet.

I have a dired-style news reader called "gnews.el" so please
don't grab that!

Conor Rafferty                  conor@su-glacier.arpa
231A Applied Electronics Lab.   conor@su-sierra.arpa
Stanford University Ca.94305	decwrl!glacier!conor
(415)497-1515

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (01/28/88)

In article <208@stylus.cme-durer.ARPA> klm@cme-durer.ARPA (Ken Manheimer) writes:
>... and would like to see a more
>worthwhile news reading facility in the editor that i could use;
>otherwise i'll stick to rn for news reading.

The method that I use which isn't quite what you asked is pretty helpful
for me.  I alias rn to be "EDITOR=/usr/local/emacs/etc/emacsclient /usr/bin/rn"
and then I have server.elc automatically run from my .emacs.  Then
when I want to respond to news, I just hit ^Z when it says that it's
waiting for emacs.  Then I type "fe" which is an alias to put emacs in
the foreground (assuming you have job control).  And after a few
seconds, the file pops up.  It's pretty obvious that this method
only works with job control.

I've also used the technique combined with Berkeley "rcp" to edit
files on other machines using the emacs on my host machine.  In
fact, if I connect to a machine using M-x telnet, then I can
type "re <file>" which will pull up the file in my own local
emacs.  "re" is a shellscript that rcp's the file to my host, then
runs emacsclient on it, then rcp's the file back.  I'm working on
a different method and I'll probably get that done soon.

If there's any interest, I'll post it.

-MikeP

jr@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (01/28/88)

>> I'd like to
>> know if the news reading software included with Gnuemacs has been
>> developed further since 17.64

Apparently.  The 5 functions I advertised are all present before rnews
is loaded.  Once it is loaded, the apropos will get a lot more hits,
as you said.

>> I would certainly appreciate being able to access
>> rmail and other files simultaneously with reading news (and preparing
>> traversing newsgroups and finagling with the read- and unread-ness of
>> articles (ie, how they're registered by the reader during the session)
>> very cumbersome and sometimes faulty.  Any advocates or improved
>> versions of the news reading mode out there?)

Apparently.  I have two modified versions - one based loosely on (and
using) MH and one called vn (which mimics the VN newsreader).  These
both were sent via this newsgroup over the last year or so.
And I
have heard rumors of others.

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp

rock@ocean.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Rock Kent) (01/29/88)

With all of the banter about favorite emacs functions/modes for
reading the news, I've been surprised not to have seen vn.el
mentioned.  Bob McQueer wrote the original and posted it ~Sep 87
(sorry Bob, I lost your address).  Steve Murphy (murf@caeco.UUCP)
posted a corrected version mid October 87.

vn.el creates two buffers and executea a C program to generate a list
of unread news articles which it puts in the first buffer as follows:
==== Group: comp.binaries.ibm.pc =====
  312: Wanted: VT100 emulation ~ 7 (Sohan C. Ramakrishna-Pillai)
  313: Re: Wanted: VT100 emulation ~ 11 (Joseph C. Morris)
==== Group: comp.emacs =====
  1735: Documentation ~ 16 (Vallury Prabhakar)
  1736: Re: vt-100 function keys and GNU Emacs ~ 32 (Vallury Prabhakar)
  1737: Re: Reading usenet inside Emacs ~ 24 (Michael A. Petonic)
  1738: Prefrobnicate (was Re: Reading usenet inside Emacs) ~ 19 (Silver)

vn.el then provides a command set which allows you to traverse the
list of articles, reading those which sound interesting in the other buffer.

I'm really sold on vn.el.  Although I only closely follow a few news
groups, I like to monitor quite a few, a process made pretty painless
by vn.el.  You do need to have, I believe, GNUemacs version 18.4x or
thereabouts in order for it to work.

DISCLAIMER:  My employer approves of neither me nor my opinions.

Rock E. Kent (Dept 1101)                         usps: NCR Corp. E&M SD
           voice: (619) 485-2364    cems:  RBO         16550 W. Bernardo Dr.
           net mail:  rock@ocean.SanDiego.NCR.COM      San Diego, Ca.  92127
           uucp:  {sdcsvax,cbosgd,ncrcae,hp-sdd,nosc.ARPA}!ncr-sd!ocean!rock

wohler@spam.istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) (02/02/88)

In article <8801281500.AA23231@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jr@BBN.COM writes:
>And I have heard rumors of others [lisp news readers].

  i went from vn to rn and probably wouldn't go back.  an rn interface
  in emacs would do it.  my life would be complete--editor, shells,
  mail, and news--wouldn't need anything else.

  if you find such a beast, let's get it in the distribution.

						--bw

ras@blade.UUCP (R.A. Schnitzler) (02/03/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.4 of Fri May 22 1987 on blade (berkeley-unix)

Well, I use a massively hacked/translated/hacked-some-more version of
rnews.ml to read news in GNUemacs (yes, that's correct).  I don't know
who originally wrote it, but I got it about 5 years ago (gosh, is it
that long) from Bruce Israel at umcp-cs (at least then).

As anyone who's tried it knows, ml-convert does not do a very good
job.  However, I've since hacked at it some more so that it seems to
run okay under 18.41.  The massive ugliness of all this is that it is
not *completely* translated (so it still requires mlsupport) and it
uses the standard post-news stuff, and (currently) it still loads
debug, and ...

Why do I do this anyway???  Bruce Israel's rnews.ml used the -e option
to readnews, which is an undocumented flag that seems to continue to
exist.  This flag produces a list of unread news articles, by
newsgroup/art-num and title, using and updating your .newsrc file.
Rnews.ml uses this list of articles like those mail systems that
present you with a list of mail-message headers, and let you
selectively read the messages.  From my perspective, this is a big win
over any of the other gnu news packages.  It also does a variety of
nice, little, (but computationally fairly expensive) things, like
continually updating the mode lines of both the list-of-articles and
the current-article buffers with various (useful) information, like
the poster's name, length of message, etc, etc.

I currently have it working on a fairly heavily loaded 750, and I seem
to have cleaned up enough of the inefficiency to make it usable.
Perhaps someone would be interested in doing some more cleaning on it,
and posting the result...

--

"It's worse than that,			Ray Schnitzler
   it's physics, Jim"			Bell Communication Research