[comp.emacs] quandary with GNU

jimb@drutx.ATT.COM (jim bryant) (02/03/88)

i've got a strange problem with GNU (18.47):

on certain terminals (specifically att4425 and att4415) the delete key
(^?) gets mapped to control-g (^G).

on other terminals (eg. att630, hp2621) the re-mapping doesn't occur,
i'm running the same program on the same machine.

it is *not* the termin (termcap) entry, as i have changed these. the
terminals are also fine, if i run other versions of emacs (eg.  warren
montgomery's) the delete key works properly and they work properly in
programs other than GNU.

i have also checked the terminal specific startup file in lisp/term/*
no luck.

somehow, somewhere, GNU is mapping ^? to ^G and i can't figure out
where.

any ideas?

thanks

jim bryant

aeusesef@csuna.UUCP (sean fagan) (02/06/88)

In article <6654@drutx.ATT.COM> drutx!jimb writes:
>i've got a strange problem with GNU (18.47):
>
>on certain terminals (specifically att4425 and att4415) the delete key
>(^?) gets mapped to control-g (^G).
We have similar problems on our Teleray 1061's (I know, Iknow, but they were
cheap, so the school bought them).  What's happening is that (you're on a
3Bx, aren't you?) is that the delete is being sign-extended, and then you're
(probably) ignoring Meta Bits, with the result that it looks just like what
a ^G would be.  I think you need to take a look at you're terminal
characteristics, and make sure it's sending the proper bits (I prefer 8bit
no parity).
This is just how I remember the problem; I wouldn't stake anything on it.

>jim bryant

 -----

 Sean Eric Fagan          Office of Computing/Communications Resources
 (213) 852 5742           Suite 2600
 1GTLSEF@CALSTATE.BITNET  5670 Wilshire Boulevard
                          Los Angeles, CA 90036
{litvax, rdlvax, psivax, hplabs, ihnp4}!csun!csuna!aeusesef