[comp.emacs] Multi-user emacs under X Windows

pgarg@pollux.usc.edu (Pankaj K. Garg) (02/04/88)

I wanted to build a multi-user interface to emacs running under X
version 11. Basically what I want to do is to be able to allow two
(or more) users to edit the same file at the same time, sitting at
different workstations. I am trying to find out if I can extend
emacs for this capability or will have to build things from scratch.
Being a novice in using emacs extensibility feature, I'll appreciate
any comments on this.

This would be working under Sun workstations running Unix 4.2BSD.

	Thanx in advance...

				...pankaj

				...pankaj

US Mail: Computer Science Department
	 University of Southern California
	 Los Angeles, CA 90089-0782

Phone: (213)743-7995

E-mail: garg@cse.usc.edu

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (02/09/88)

In article <6704@oberon.USC.EDU> garg@cse.usc.edu () writes:
>I wanted to build a multi-user interface to emacs running under X
>version 11. Basically what I want to do is to be able to allow two
>(or more) users to edit the same file at the same time, sitting at
>different workstations. I am trying to find out if I can extend

  I suspect you will need internal changes: Multics Emacs does it
easily because there's architectural support for it in the
hardware and operating system, so all you have to have is the (usual)
have-i-two-windows-on-this-buffer update checks...
  You may need a private communications path between the emacses on
Suns, stating what each have changed where they overlap (somewhere
close to the minimize-screen-redraw code).  This is also reminiscent
of the "parallel two databases by transmitting each other their
journals" trick.

 --dave
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its