[comp.emacs] Emacs cntl-z on a Pyramid

mechjgh@tness7.UUCP (Greg Hackney ) (01/24/88)

On our Pyramid:

cntl-z works in cshell, but just redraws the screen in att shell.

Any ideas how to fix?

--
Greg
mechjgh@tness1.UUCP

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/09/88)

In article <5@tness7.UUCP> mechjgh@tness7.UUCP (Greg Hackney ) writes:
>On our Pyramid:
>
>cntl-z works in cshell, but just redraws the screen in att shell.

If I understand the question, you're asking why <CTRL-Z> does a suspend when
you are running Emacs from the ucb universe, but only clears the screen from
the att universe? I'm not an Emacs user, so this is just a hunch.

The reason is that <CTRL-Z> behaves differently on 4.3BSD and System VR3. In
BSD systems, <CTRL-Z> causes a SIGTSTP signal to be sent to the process, which
is normally interpretted as a signal to suspend. In System V, <CTRL-Z> is just
another character, with no special significance.* So Emacs does with it as it
pleases.

<csg>

*Yes, I know about shell layers. I assumed that the user wasn't using it, or
he wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.