[comp.emacs] folding editor

michael@trigraph.UUCP (Michael Winser) (02/02/88)

Does anyone out there have source to a folding editor?
Ideally I would like changes to jove or some other emacs
like editor.

Michael.

--
...utscri!trigraph!michael            Michael Winser
michael@trigraph.UUCP                 Trigraph Inc.

bard@THEORY.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bard Bloom) (02/05/88)

>  Does anyone out there have source to a folding editor?
>  Ideally I would like changes to jove or some other emacs
>  like editor.

What is a folding editor?

-- Bard Bloom

arc1@eagle.ukc.ac.uk (A.R.Curtis) (02/10/88)

In article <8802042008.AA01008@RAVEN.LCS.MIT.EDU> bard@THEORY.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bard Bloom) writes:

>>  Does anyone out there have source to a folding editor?
>>  Ideally I would like changes to jove or some other emacs
>>  like editor.
>
>What is a folding editor?
>
>-- Bard Bloom

A folding editor is an editor which is commonly used for occam (i.e. for
OPS and TDS). The idea is to encapsulate successive detail inside things
called folds which are normally closed but you can go into them and examine
the contents, edit and do other useful things.

e.g. in TDS the fold area is indicated like this (sort of)

{{{ a fold

... code etc

}}}

the ellipsis (...) indicates that this is a closed fold and you
have code in there which is only used for a deeper understanding
(implementation vs. application)

As for the availability of folding editors there is one mentioned
in the "occ" manual entry under UNIX but where is it????? VMS
apparently runs TDS but I haven't been able to run it/find it.

I have a mode for gnu-emacs which does folding using selective displays
but that isn't much use here is it? jove and ue won't really be of
much use as they aren't fully extensible like gnu and others. Could
try writing one....:-)

Tony