[comp.emacs] Integrating micro-spell

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (02/17/88)

This is in fact a question about the micro-emacs 3.9e macro language...

Recently, I downloaded micro-spell 1.0 from the "Programmer's Room" BBS
in Indiana.  One of the files is SCAN.CMD, and its purpose is to tell
emacs how to scan through the unrecognized words in a file and prompt
the user for the appopriate action.  So, if you type "spell -e foo" at
the DOS prompt, SPELL.EXE checks foo for unrecognized words, fires up
emacs and runs the SCAN macro.

What I want to do is to run micro-spell from within emacs, on a file
that I am editing.  One way to do this, of course, is to use
shell-command to run micro-spell and create another copy of emacs in
RAM.  This is an extravagant waste of memory on a PC.

A better way would be to have a shell-command to run SPELL.EXE on the
current file, and then invoke the SCAN macro, and then quit back to
emacs.  But I can't get it to work that way.  I tried, for example,
using &cat to create the command line "spell foo" to use with the
shell-command sequence.  All this does is to create a new DOS shell,
from which I must exit back into emacs.  Here is the macro fragment:

set %comline &cat "spell " $cfname
shell-command @%comline
execute-file "scan.cmd"

Any ideas about how I might get this to work.  In particular, is there a
simpler way to put a shell-command with a context-dependent argument in
a macro?

--
Todd Moody * {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody * SJU Phil. Dept.
    "The wind is not moving.  The flag is not moving.  Mind is moving."

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (02/21/88)

In article <1173@sjuvax.UUCP> tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) writes:

>This is in fact a question about the micro-emacs 3.9e macro language...
>
>What I want to do is to run micro-spell from within emacs, on a file
>that I am editing.

	What version of MicroEMACS are you running? Version 3.9, which
was the first distributed with MicroSPELL, included a word processing
page to run the spell checker on the current file.  Try calling up the
word processing page (via F8) and using shift-F6 to spell check the file
(or just look at the code if you are on a machine without function
keys.) It shells out to run spell and then executes scan.cmd.

>set %comline &cat "spell " $cfname
>shell-command @%comline
               ^what is this for? an interactive prompt here????
This makes no sense...should the line be:
 shell-command %commline
          ?
>execute-file "scan.cmd"
>--
>Todd Moody * {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody * SJU Phil. Dept.

	I hope this makes sense, if you still can't get it running, send
me some more details (versions.. copies of files  etc) and I will try to
figure it out.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	1:201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533